XQ’s mission is to fuel, inspire and catalyze America’s collective creativity in order to transform our high schools so every student can succeed. XQ: The Super School Project launched in September 2015 as an open call to rethink and design the American high school. More than 10,000 students, educators, parents and community leaders from all 50 states and representing nearly 4,000 communities answered this call by proposing innovative, student-centered models for 21st century learning. To date, XQ has pledged $115 million to a growing number of the most promising ideas, actively supporting these teams on their journeys to become Super Schools.
To meet its ambitious goals, XQ Super Schools is looking for aYouth Engagement Director (“Director”) to join our team.
XQ’s Youth Engagement Director will lead, create and implement XQ’s Youth Program.
XQ is ambitious. Our mission is to fuel, inspire and catalyze America’s collective creativity to transform our high schools so every student can succeed.
Our work is urgent. We are committed to equity and excellence in education. Our students cannot – and should not - wait.
We believe that youth should be at the center of their learning. We believe in the power of youth voice. We believe that youth are active agents of the change they want to see.
We are looking for a community and youth leader who shares our belief to join XQ to build our Youth Program. We want to reach millions. We want the energy of XQ to be driven by the youth. We want youth to join us and stand up for the high school education they deserve. An education that ALL youth deserve - regardless of race, income, gender or zip code.
We are looking for a creative, resourceful and energetic leader - for someone who understands the differences youth in various communities face. We are looking for a community builder. We are looking for someone who is passionate and kind. We are looking for someone who is tapped in to culture and creativity and is looking to use them to further our work which is rooted in equity and in closing the opportunity gap.
This role is part of XQ’s Campaigns Teams and reports to the Campaigns Director. The role is vital in our grassroots community building efforts.
· Create & Implement XQ’s Youth Ambassador Program:
o Build a community that creates value for the youth and drives engagement.
o Our dream is that our Youth Ambassadors become our energy hub, showcasing XQ’s values and beliefs by their actions that in turn inspire others to join us.
o Work with XQ’s Director of Growth, who is responsible for XQ’s social, email and SMS channels, to grow our youth following, and excite and inspire them to be XQ champions both online and offline.
o Create a program that has chapter extensions headed by youth leaders.
o Work with XQ’s Database Manager to develop a Youth Database in our CRM system.
o Solid use and healthy obsession of social channels and knows how to recruit youth in to our program using online channels.
· Roundtables, Events and Rallies:
o Organize and host youth led events. Responsible for the planning, delivery and overall performance in line with the strategy.
o Be a spokesperson & present to this community, in a way that feels of and part of the group. At XQ, we believe in talking with – not to – youth. We also believe that our main job is to ask and LISTEN. At all times, demonstrate an open, inclusive and participatory leadership style.
o Help plan, execute and project manage events such as roadshows and round-tables. Includes coordinating pre-advance and logistics, including invitations, registration and attendee tracking, presentation and materials support and pre- and post-event evaluations.
· Build Relationships, Youth Partnerships & Drive Growth in Youth Audience:
o Significant partner and relationship management.
o Whether it’s one-on-one or with partner organizations, building relationships in an honest, meaningful and mutually beneficial way is integral to this role.
o You will research and outreach to people and potential partner organizations to build our community through relationships and partnerships.
· Marketing Campaigns & Products:
o This role will project manage wider marketing campaigns and products – especially those with a youth specific focus to them (e.g., College Pathfinder Product).
o This role will also be given the opportunity to project manage other marketing initiatives and campaigns that are non-youth specific.
· 7-10 years of youth led work. We are looking for someone who can own this program and bring it to life.
· Strategic and creative individual who also rolls their sleeves up and gets the job done.
· Experience running events and programs in a startup or high growth small business.
· Knowledge of event production and design a plus. Must be able to work with vendors and hold them to account on technical and logistical aspects of event planning including floor plan development, detailed timelines, budgets, vendor negotiations, decor, menu planning and decision-making abilities.
· Proficient using the latest versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Contact and mail merge, email etc.
Key Skills of the Ideal Candidate
· The role is based in Oakland, California. Travel is required.
· Thrives in a fast paced, high intensity environment.
· Flexible and willing to perform other tasks as assigned.
· Self-starter, who enjoys working independently: this is a job where the sky is the limit! You get out what you put in!
· Ability to work to a budget and to make it go a long way.
· Meticulously organized and detailed.
· A pattern of executing against goals on time and to high standards.
· Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to connect with and develop relationships with a wide range of individuals.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Proven ability to collaborate with a small and diverse team, across functions.
· Ability to adapt to challenges and opportunities with a solution-oriented perspective.
· Commitment and ability to understand and articulate the mission, programs and activities of XQ Institute
· We are looking for someone aligned with, and who wants to represent, XQ’s brand attitude – bold, imaginative, smart, non-conforming, hopeful.
· Some evening and weekend work will be required – we’ll make sure it’s fun!
The XQ Way
· We believe in the power of imagination. Creativity is paramount.
· We are driven by a commitment to equity and to democratizing access to knowledge and evidence.
· We are solutions orientated.
· We are non-conforming, resourceful and entrepreneurial.
· We believe in empowering community – we are in and off the community.
· We have a framework. Those closest to the needs have to own the answers.
· We demand – of ourselves – nothing short of excellence.
· We believe in being constantly curious. Listening and learning never ends.
· We believe that youth have to have a voice at the table.
· XQ Institute offers competitive benefits and salary for this role.
XQ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. At XQ promoting, celebrating, and supporting diversity is a core value. Individuals are considered without regards to race, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual expression, religion, color, veteran status, disability, marital status, or ancestry.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
· Please apply online.