Youth Represent is seeking a Paralegal to immediately join our team. We are looking for a bright and energetic individual with an interest in youth justice and law to provide legal and administrative support. Applicants should demonstrate a strong commitment to legal or public service work and have an interest in working in a dynamic, social justice environment. The ideal candidate will have an ability to work independently with good judgment, be self-motivated and reliable, and have a strong interest in working in a multi-disciplinary setting.
About Youth Represent
Youth Represent is a youth defense and advocacy non-profit organization. Our mission is to ensure that youth affected by the criminal justice system are afforded every opportunity to reclaim lives of dignity, self-fulfillment, and engagement in their communities. We provide comprehensive legal representation, community support, education, and policy advocacy.
- Conduct client intake meetings, facilitate legal workshops, and conduct mock interviews at Youth Represent offices and at community-based organizations, schools, public housing developments, Rikers Island, and partner organizations and agencies across New York accompanying attorneys where appropriate.
- Coordinate visits, including preparing client intake files, and liaise with partner personnel to: cultivate positive partner satisfaction; efficiently implement the project; and ensure partner needs and expectations are met
- Support attorneys in managing and tracking caseloads and meeting client needs, including making referrals for social services and providing legal information
- Support attorneys in facilitating client communication
- Assist with case preparation for legal proceedings
- Obtain, review, and summarize court records and obtain clients’ criminal histories and summarize them in our client database
- Correct errors on criminal history records with local and state entities
- Perform research and draft legal memorandums
- Assist youth in obtaining Certificates of Relief and Good Conduct
- Serve and file documents, including motions, complaints/petitions, and subpoenas
- Draft, edit, and proofread written materials, including legal documents, correspondence, and published materials
- Collect data and records (including sign-in sheets at workshops) and conduct data entry and prepare reports for funders, partners, and senior staff
- Provide back-up support for office operations, where necessary, including welcoming clients, sending out mail, answering phones, etc.
- Support fundraising efforts for the organization
- Support policy and advocacy efforts for the organization
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings, and support the strategic development of the organization
- Help build an office environment supporting Youth Represent’s organizational values (see http://youthrepresent.org/history-mission-values/)
- Other duties and administrative tasks as needed and determined by senior staff
- Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate experience required
- Background in social work and/or case management preferred
- Paralegal training, certification, or experience preferred
- Experience working and communicating with vulnerable youth, including justice-involved youth, youth who have experienced trauma, identify as LGBTQ+, and/or are HIV+.
- Superb interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize efficiently
- Ability and willingness to work both independently and in collaboration with others
- Commitment to interdisciplinary collaboration
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively to achieve program goals
- Strong attention to detail
- Familiarity and comfort in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Professional presence
- Flexibility and ability to prioritize requests
- Database experience (knowledge of Salesforce a plus)
- Salary for this position is $42,850 - $47,983, commensurate with experience.
- This position is a member of the Association of Legal Aid Attorneys-UAW Local 2325.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If interested, please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Resumes@YouthRepresent.org with the subject line “Paralegal – [your last name]”. Please combine all materials into one document in either Word or PDF format. Applications that do not comport with these instructions will not be considered.
Youth Represent is an equal opportunity employer that considers all applications without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation or preference, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected by law.