Special Education Coordinator (Meridian Public Charter School)
- Job posted by Meridian Public Charter School
2120 13th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
ABOUT MERIDIAN PCS
Meridian Public Charter School is located in the Nation’s Capital. We are a rigorous PreK - 8th grade school, which academically and socially prepares its diverse student population to be successful in an increasingly global and technology based society. We aim to do this by creating a secure high energy and hands on environment where students can be excited about the learning process. Our goals are to provide a thorough foundation of knowledge and create a lifelong love of learning.
For additional information about Meridian PCS visit mpcs-dc.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are looking for a Special Education Coordinator to create a supportive, empowering learning environment for all student learners. A Special Education Coordinator’s specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Promoting Student Academic Progress
- Advocating for special education students and staff
- Promoting cooperative relationships with general education staff and all special education stakeholders, including students and their families
- Developing the Student Support Team (SST) process for students
- Monitoring the delivery and integration of instruction and related services, as stipulated in and aligned with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs)
- Providing direct instructional support if needed.
- Developing and implementing a performance management tracking system for students with disabilities, in collaboration with the Head of School
- Serving as the compliance link between the Head of School, special education teachers/case managers, and clinical providers
Supporting the IEP Process
- Scheduling, coordinating, and facilitating annual all IEP meetings;
- Ensuring IEP completion and compliance related to areas including: least restrictive environment (LRE), accommodations/modifications, service hours, transportation, and extended school year (ESY)
- Promoting positive student and family relationships and facilitating communication in complex cases
- Guiding thoughtful development of student evaluation plans in collaboration with clinical providers to ensure comprehensive and holistic evaluation of students in all areas of suspected disabilities
- Collaborating with evaluators to ensure timely referral of student evaluation plans and permission to evaluate forms and timely receipt of reports
- Encouraging and guiding staff with regard to the Individual with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and all applicable laws, regulations, and mandates
- Overseeing the compliance of comprehensive documentation maintained in special education files
- Collaborating with school leadership on the professional development needed to support teachers/case managers
- Maintaining current information in Special Education Database System (SEDS)
- Maintaining shared school wide calendar of IEP meetings
- Conducting manifestation determination reviews (MDRs)
Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree in special education, administration, or related field preferred
- Eligible for Special Education Standard Certification in Washington, D.C.
- Deep understanding of IDEA and other laws applicable to special education
- Knowledge of DC's regulatory environment and special education landscape
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Familiarity with SEDS or similar data system
- Able to give clear directions and supervise teachers/case managers
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Click here to apply to the Special Education Coordinator position.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin or ancestry, marital status, veteran’s status, or any other factor, which would constitute a violation of the D.C. Human Rights Act or other applicable laws or court order.