55 Exchange Place
SEO Scholars is a free eight-year academic program that gets motivated, low-income public high school students to and through college with a rigorous out-of-school supplemental academic curriculum, college guidance and the leadership development necessary to gain admission to, and succeed at, competitive colleges and universities. At SEO Scholars we have a proven track record of success: 90% of our Scholars graduate from college. The impact of a college degree is well-documented. College graduates are estimated to out-earn their peers by more than $1 million over the course of a lifetime, thus breaking the cycle of poverty within their families.
The 12th Grade College Admissions VISTA is responsible for providing critical support and implementing new initiatives around the college admissions process for the 12th grade department and the organization as a whole. The VISTA will develop strategies to engage key constituents and create systems to track and catalogue college admissions data. S/he will strengthen college admissions outcomes by building capacity in the following areas: student advising, family education, enrichment programs, and college admissions programming.
We seek a highly organized, dynamic team player with a keen eye for detail, an ability to handle multiple responsibilities, and a commitment to providing opportunities to underserved high school students. The ideal candidate is meticulous, passionate about our mission, and a quick learner.
- In coordination with the 12th grade department, create thoughtful strategies to engage 12th grade Scholars, parents, high school partners, and other college access organizations throughout the college admissions process
- In collaboration with the Manager of College Access, develop and implement a social media marketing strategy to further relationships with Scholars, colleges, other college access organizations, etc.
- Interview and film Scholars throughout their 12th grade year to build content, which will be used to increase student engagement and buy-in with SEO’s college admissions process
- Systemize data collection throughout the college admissions process and utilize Salesforce and other databases to upload pertinent college admissions data
- Develop a system for tracking all college admissions related purchases
- In coordination with the Assistant Director of College Admissions, update the SEO Approved College List for the 2020-2021 academic year with new college admissions data
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent organizational skills, detail-orientation, and ability to multi-task
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Basic to intermediate Excel skills are highly desirable
- Experience managing projects with multiple deadlines
- Ability to work some Saturdays and evenings as needed
- Make a year-long commitment
- To Hold Students to the Highest Possible Standard – “There is no back row in SEO.” We are passionate about closing the opportunity gap for first-generation and underrepresented students. We recognize the privilege of working with some of the most inspiring young minds in NYC and refuse to settle for anything less than 100% student engagement.
- To Speak with Candor and Conviction – We are dynamic, engaging leaders able to present SEO Scholars to a variety of audiences and stakeholders in a compelling and informative way, as well as to navigate difficult conversations providing honest, productive feedback to students and their families.
- To Prioritize Collective Objective over Personal Need – “It’s not about you; it’s about those who came before you and those who come after you.” We are a rapidly growing, data-driven organization always eager to add ambitious team members who want to make a lasting impact on our organization.
In addition to your AmeriCorps living allowance and education award, SEO will provide a $150 monthly housing stipend, a $50 monthly food stipend, and a monthly MetroCard during your year of service.
This is an AmeriCorps VISTA opportunity to spend one year serving full-time to make a difference. For a full list of the benefits of service go to https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service
Go to the opportunity listing and complete the AmeriCorps VISTA application process. Additionally, please share your resume and cover letter with Chloe Blaise, firstname.lastname@example.org please specify "SEO Scholars AmeriCorps VISTA - Your Name" in the subject line.
Minimum Education Required