Use your communications expertise to help end educational inequality.
TNTP seeks a full-time Vice President for Communications. This position will be based from a home office (flex location) or from our office in Brooklyn, NY, and is available immediately. Occasional travel is required.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
Our Communications & Publications Department strives to advance TNTP’s mission through strategic, high-impact communications. Our 13-person team is virtual, with a few of us based in TNTP’s Brooklyn office and the rest working remotely from home offices across the country.
What You’ll Do
The Vice President will sit on TNTP’s Leadership Team, report to the Executive Vice President – Public Affairs, and set the vision, goals and culture for the Communications & Publications Department. We’re looking for a skilled communicator who is equally at home setting a high-level vision and honing a precise turn of phrase.
The Vice President will oversee TNTP’s brand, publications, internal communications, and strategic support for TNTP staff and clients in school systems nationwide.
We expect our Vice President to:
- Be an outstanding communicator. You are an expert writer and editor with a clear and compelling voice, a sensitive ear, and a knack for finding simplicity in complexity. You add that extra level of polish to signature communications, whether it’s a publication, CEO speech, or client campaign.
- Have a vision that connects our work to outcomes for kids. You’re a strategy setter who can generate innovative and nuanced solutions to complex challenges. You help our partners translate strategy into action, and have a vision for how a third-party organization can catalyze substantive improvements in public education through strategic communication.
- Be a strong strategic thinker. You are a natural problem-solver who can efficiently assess the big picture, analyze the root causes, and define new ways forward. You are intellectually curious and thrive on working with multidisciplinary teams, often across multiple projects at once.
- Invest and influence others. You bring out the best in your team and inspire your colleagues. You are a skilled manager who can lead a strong team to new heights. You are confident with clients and peers, listen actively, and advise effectively.
Specifically, the Vice President will be responsible for the following:
Communications Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Lead a team of communications professionals and engage internal stakeholders to develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance TNTP’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its priorities, programs and results; increase the range of its public voice across key stakeholder audiences; and create new business opportunities.
- Create and oversee implementation of marketing and communications strategy that will allow TNTP leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including media, key influencers, and potential clients.
- Continuously evaluate, learn, and improve upon our marketing and communications efforts to ensure TNTP’s voice maintains relevance and increases in influence.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Serve as communications counselor and advisor to TNTP’s Leadership and Executive Teams.
- Oversee, and support staff in developing and writing all online and print publications, including major policy reports, annual reports, marketing collateral materials and our main website.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, presentations, and other supporting material as needed.
- Ensure active engagement, cultivation and management of press relationships to ensure coverage of TNTP’s activities, special events, public announcements, and other programs.
- Work with Partner-level direct reports to oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications operation including budgeting, planning, team engagement, and staff development.
- Offer thought partnership and inform the priorities and strategic direction of TNTP a member of TNTP’s Leadership Team.
- Directly manage two Partners and lead a team of 11-14 staff responsible for all internal communications, external communications, client consultation, and publications.
- Promote a culture of high performance, effective cross-function, and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to the highest quality standards.
- Mentor, coach, and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set goals, establish priorities, conduct annual performance reviews, and administer salary adjustments.
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
Specifically, we are looking for people with:
- Senior leadership experience and expertise in communications strategy; experience with nonprofit, education or social justice organizations are preferred, 10+ years of experience preferred
- Proven experience shaping long-term vision and driving strategies to achieve objectives in marketing, public relations, internal communications and policy communications
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required, an advanced degree is preferred
- Demonstrated senior experience leading a multi-faceted communications, marketing, and publication program
- Experience with building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience with a variety of print and online communications media
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications specialists
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Excellent and persuasive communicator
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills, with the ability and comfort to effectively interface with senior management and staff
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check.
At TNTP, we believe that diversity makes us stronger and challenges us to think differently every day. TNTP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status or disability.
Benefits and hiring process: http://tntp.org/join
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people
Minimum Education Required