1590 Park Avenue
About Hot Bread Kitchen
Hot Bread Kitchen is a non-profit social enterprise that creates economic opportunity through careers in food. We achieve our mission through our two main programs: Bakers in Training, a paid, on-the-job training program in bread-baking for low-income and immigrant women who face significant barriers to employment, and HBK Incubates, a culinary incubator that provides licensed commercial kitchen access and business development support for food entrepreneurs.
Since 2010, through our on-the-job training program in our own bakery in East Harlem, we have trained and graduated over 100 clients into baking, prep cook and retail positions with almost 40 prominent New York food businesses. We place 100% of the women who complete our training, and our one-year retention rate for our graduates is close to 90%. We seek to quadruple the number of women we serve in our workforce development program in 2018 through a new apprenticeship program model, which includes four weeks of kitchen fundamentals training and three months of apprenticeship with an employment partner. This new program model will require that we greatly expand and deepen relationships with the region’s larger employers.
To this end, we seek a new team member with food industry experience and a sales mentality to partner with us in our growth strategy--an employment partner coordinator. The employment partner coordinator will use her/his knowledge of the industry to help place our clients--motivated and trained workers—with the best employers in the region.
The position involves a mix of employment partner cultivation and management. The coordinator will work alongside the program director to solicit and cultivate relationships with all types of food businesses to provide spots for apprentices and placements for program graduates. The coordinator will work to keep employment partners engaged and content through regular contact and trouble-shooting as necessary. The coordinator will also work with employment partners to design employer-specific training.
● Employment partner cultivation through a variety of means including personal connections, organizational networks, professional guilds, conferences, cold-calling, etc.
● Assessing food industry needs to determine best avenues for cultivation
● Surveying employment partners’ training needs to determine content of training
● Maintaining employment partner relations through site visits, phone calls, contracts
● Participate in the selection of candidates for the program through interviews and other activities
● Coordinate with clients’ case management staff to provide feedback from employers and to address on-the-job concerns and issues
● Negotiate for program graduates for good wages and set schedules with employment partners
Required Skills and Experience:
● A minimum of 3 years professional food industry experience
● Food industry connections
● A sales mentality and disposition
● Passion for Hot Bread Kitchen’s mission
● Demonstrated ability to inspire and influence people
● Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with people of diverse socioeconomic, cultural and economic backgrounds
● Extremely organized and attentive to detail; demonstrated follow-through
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
● Proficiency in all MS Office software, including Excel
● Ability to work evenings and weekends
● Ability to travel within the NYC metro area
Minimum Education Required