This is an entry-level role for an individual looking to dive into accounting and payroll. Reporting to the Burning Man Controller, the Staff Accountant will help facilitate the financial recording and reporting responsibilities within the organization. Duties will include entry of accounts payable, as well as assisting with the functions of payroll and employee setup. This role will require extensive use of Excel, Adobe PDF Software, and the Paycom Payroll System. This position will also assist the Burning Man Accounting team and Payroll Manager in their day-to-day tasks and perform other duties as assigned.
This is a regular, full-time, eligible for benefits role, with preference given to candidates located in proximity to one of Burning Man’s operations (San Francisco, CA, Reno, NV, or Gerlach, NV.) Working hours will be based on Pacific Time.
The deadline to apply for this role is 5:00pm Pacific on Wednesday, May 18, 2022.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Vendor and internal department correspondence
- Invoice and expense entry and coding
- Review vendor invoices for accuracy
- Data entry into various accounting and payroll programs
- Assisting in entering employee demographics and job employment data.
- Reconcile employee deductions, such as Medical, Dental, and 401(k).
- Assist in tracking and maintaining all hiring paperwork.
- Assist in processing bi-weekly payroll.
- Other duties as required
LEARNING AND TEACHING
- Documentation - Assists in the creation, publishing, and maintenance of process documentation related to their assigned duties.
- Knowledge sharing – Helps acculturate and educate junior staff in Burning Man culture and business processes.
- Training development - Collaborates with the education team to develop training materials in their area of expertise, as requested.
- Learning – Pursues ongoing learning in their area of expertise, working to stay current on emergent knowledge, skills, and processes.
- Expertise in the use of Excel and data entry experience
- Demonstrate general accounting, payroll, and reporting knowledge
- Excellent communication skills & professionalism
- Ability to maintain personal integrity and uphold high standards of confidentiality
- Ability to multitask and interface with many departments
- Attention to detail
- Motivated self-starter
- BA or BS in Accounting
- Experience with NetSuite
- Experience with Expensify
- Experience with PayCom
- It is helpful if the candidate has previously been to Burning Man and/or is familiar with its culture.
Note: If you have gained the necessary experience to succeed in this role and have acquired this experience in other ways, we encourage you to apply and share all relevant experience in your application.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
- This is a regular, full-time, eligible for benefits role, with preference given to candidates located in proximity to one of Burning Man’s operations (San Francisco, CA, Reno, NV, or Gerlach, NV.) Working hours will be based on Pacific Time.
- Burning Man Project celebrates the importance of creating a diverse environment and enthusiastically encourages Black, Indigenous, Peoples of Color, LGBTQIA+, Immigrant, women, and people with disabilities, of all ages, to apply.
- Burning Man Project provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- Notice for Remote Opportunities: Burning Man Project is currently able to hire remote employees living/working in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, FL, ID, LA, MA, MI, MT, NC, NM, NV, NY, OR, TX, WA, WI. Working hours for all positions are based in Pacific Time.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Off-playa: Work is primarily sedentary in nature, no special demands are required.
- On-playa: Work is primarily sedentary but will also include the need to find and meet with department representatives who may not be in the vicinity therefore this could include walking or using some form of transportation. Some of the work will be in outside weather conditions and will be exposed to fumes or airborne particles as well as possible extremes in temperature.