Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Education Specialist
Salary Range: $35.0000 To 40.0000 Hourly
Program: Youth Services
Reports to: Program Director
Hours: 9 hours/week for 36 weeks during academic year.
Rate: $35 – 40 per hour
• Oversee and ensure alignment of Common Core Standards and SONYC STEM program activities with recognized learning standards.
• Supervise all academic activities to ensure standards are met.
• Assist in the facilitation of curriculum development, and ensure that school day and SONYC curriculum are aligned.
• Provide extra academic support for all participants.
• Supervise and input developmentally appropriate educational curricula for participants in areas of literacy and mathematics.
• Create individual academic assessments and plans for enrichment for participants.
• Provide professional development training at least once a week on Common Core strategies and lessons plan development.
• Attend program meetings and professional development workshops as coordinated by program leadership.
• Participate in special events, staff meetings, USA program committee, monthly Youth Services Department meetings, and all school trips/afterschool events.
• Additional duties as assigned by the Site Supervisor, Program Director, Assistant Director of Youth Services, Associate Director of After-School Programming and Director of Youth Services.
• Master’s degree in an education related field with training in the Common Core and at least three years’ teaching experience, including experience in curriculum development, lesson planning and implementation of structured programming for in elementary school students.
• At minimum, Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field and five years’ experience in facilitating educational workshops in schools, after school programs, or community based organizations.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
• Strong verbal, written, clerical, organizational, and problem solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a fast-paced, challenging, and constantly changing environment.
• The ability to perform at a high level.
• Dedication to serving youth in an urban setting. Innovation and patience.
• Demonstrated understanding of the challenges facing youth in an urban setting.
Please include a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and contact information for at least three professional references.
UNION SETTLEMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and…