Refugee Women’s Alliance (ReWA) is a nationally recognized multiethnic nonprofit organization that provides award-winning services to refugee and immigrant women and their families in King and Snohomish Counties.
POSITION TITLE: Family Law Attorney
PROGRAM: Domestic Violence
REPORTS TO: Domestic Violence Program Director
STATUS/PAY: Non-Exempt Regular Full-Time (37.5 hours per week)
SUMMARY: This position provides legal representation and advocacy for refugee and immigrant victims of domestic violence who seek assistance with family matters including family violence, custody/visitation, child/spousal support proceedings, and dissolution cases. The Family Law Attorney will work closely with Domestic Violence Program staff to advocate on behalf of victims and connect them with resources that they need to become self-sufficient and live free from abuse and violence.
1.Provide legal consultation and representation to low-income refugee and immigrant victims of domestic violence and sexual assault in matters of family violence, custody, visitation, child support, spousal support, and dissolution cases.
2.Provide consultation to Domestic Violence Victim Advocates regarding applicable domestic violence and sexual assault laws.
3.Develop and conduct outreach and education for clients, partner organizations, and agency staff to raise awareness of legal options and resources available to victims.
4.Train pro bono attorneys, social service providers, partner organizations, and agency staff on current domestic violence and sexual assault laws, best practices, and the legal needs of victims.
5.Work with Domestic Violence Victim Advocates and other agency staff to facilitate clients’ access to intra-agency and outside resources.
6.Review client files to insure accuracy of intake, case notes, and supporting documentation.
7.Attend staff meetings and trainings as requested by the Domestic Violence Program Director.
8.Other related duties as assigned by the Domestic Violence Program Director.
- J.D. degree and have passed the Washington State Bar Examination.
- Three to five years of experience working as an attorney in family law.
- Excellent spoken and written English language skills.
- Demonstrated ability to use sound independent judgment.
- Commitment to providing legal advocacy to underserved communities.
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Respect for others’ experiences, opinions, language, values, culture, and knowledge.
- Commitment to teamwork and collaboration.
- Willingness to work flexible hours.
- WA state driver’s license and vehicle insurance.
BENEFITS: Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD, Life insurance, vacation, sick leave, paid holidays, 403(b) plan.
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
Minimum Education Required