Amber Charter Schools provide our students with an academically rigorous and well-rounded education, along with strong character development, which will enable them to prosper in their future endeavors.
Amber Charter School East Harlem was founded in 2000 as the first Latino-led charter school in New York State. It currently serves 500 K-5 students. Amber Charter School Kingsbridge opened in 2016 and serves 440 K-5 students. Amber Charter School Inwood will open in 2021, and grow to serve 923 K-8 students. By 2025, the ACS network will serve just under 2000 students across three NYC neighborhoods.
Join a team devoted to positively impacting the lives of children and families every day. Come help build lifelong learners.
Staff Developer, ACS Inwood
Start Date: July 2021
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Staff Developer will formally report to the ACS Inwood Principal, and receive guidance and support from the Shared Services Team’s Chief Academic Officer.
Support Instructional Staff to Develop and Implement Effective, Impactful Teaching Practices
- Be present in classrooms often and actively coach teachers, providing them with timely constructive feedback.
- Support teachers to design coherent, NYLS-aligned lessons and units that facilitate deep understanding of content.
- Analyze authentic student work with teachers for the purposes of assessing learning, modifying instruction and re-teaching content.
- Guide teachers to modify, differentiate and extend learning experiences to engage all students.
Facilitate the Professional Growth of Instructional Staff
- Identify areas of growth on the teacher, team and staff levels, and plan/arrange relevant internal and external professional learning opportunities.
- Model or arrange targeted peer observations to support teacher growth.
- Review and analyze formative and summative assessment data and evidence at the student, class, grade and school levels to inform instructional and professional development plans.
- Work with the data manager to support teachers in effectively using data and evidence to inform instruction.
- Ensure professional development efforts contribute to school-wide, grade and content-specific student achievement absolute and growth goals.
- Leverage the strengths and develop the leadership capacities of the school’s best teachers.
Contribute to the Day to Day Success and Ongoing Evolution of the School
- Serve as a key member of the instructional leadership team.
- Help to recruit, interview and onboard new instructional team members.
- Review trimester report cards, and specialist progress reports, ensuring appropriate alignment among ratings, comments and concrete data collected.
- Support teachers as they prepare for parent/teacher conferences and maximize family participation.
- Supervise arrival, dismissal, transitions, lunch and/or recess as needed, ensuring the safety of the students.
- Execute special assignments and other duties as designated by the principal.
- Contribute to extended learning beyond the typical school day (academic tutoring, summer school, etc.)
- Monitor the routine updating of bulletin boards by teachers to showcase high quality student work.
Support the Use and Implementation of NYSLS-Aligned Curriculum Programs and Resources
- Serve as an in-house expert on NYS learning standards, and core and supplementary NYSLS-aligned curriculum materials and resources.
- In partnership with teachers and leaders, identify and develop supplementary academic materials and resources to support the learning of all students, particularly those who are struggling, have identified or suspected disabilities and/or are English language learners.
- Facilitate the implementation of flexible and seamless in person and remote learning pathways that serve the learning needs of all students.
- Order and organize all instructional materials to ensure they are accessible and utilized with fidelity and consistency.
- Plan and facilitate professional development and ongoing guidance and support to ensure content, learning standards and curriculum materials are fully understood, and instruction is implemented in accordance with network and school expectations.
The Staff Developer may also assume other tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the Principal.
We are seeking candidates with the following experience, competencies and assets:
- Minimum of 3 years experience as an effective, impactful classroom teacher, preferably in the elementary grades.
- Staff professional development, consulting and coaching experience.
- Deep knowledge of NYS learning standards for the elementary grades.
- Familiarity with high-quality elementary grades curriculum programs for English language arts, mathematics, science and social studies.
- Familiarity with remote learning systems (e.g. Google Classroom, on-line curriculum platforms).
- Strong command of all Microsoft Office and Google drive programs.
- Experience planning, developing, facilitating and evaluating high-impact professional development.
- A high degree of comfort and confidence modeling effective instruction.
- Knowledge of best practices in adult learning.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple obligations and initiatives, strong attention to detail and excellent time management.
- Knowledge of change management theory and practice, team building, and group dynamics..
- Capacity to develop strong relationships based on trust, respect, effective communication, and common goals.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a commitment to preserving a bold, can-do culture that sustains the organization’s core values.
- Collaborative decision-making style, with a proven track record of working effectively with individuals at all levels to drive decision-making and results.
- Commitment to leveraging the existing strengths and supporting the continuous evolution of our communities, students, families and staff members.
- Alignment to the Amber Charter Schools mission and core values.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Masters Degree in the field of education preferred.
- NYS teaching certification.
- Spanish-speaking strongly preferred.