Details: Competitive salary based on experience
1715 W. Florence Avenue
Job Description Overview:
The role of the Community Organizer is to recruit and sustain new members and leaders in SCOPE’s grassroots neighborhood organization. Organizers work closely with SCOPE’s leaders and members to develop their skills, political consciousness and increase their involvement. Additionally, organizers play a key role in planning and implementing campaign activities to exercise grassroots power, and developing a sustained and democratic organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Grassroots Member Recruitment of poor and working class communities including: recruit new members through door-to-door outreach, personal visits, phoning; organize house meetings; plan membership activities; and build an effective, ongoing organization by increasing members’ involvement and investment.
- Leadership Development / Training of grassroots leaders and members to develop skills, including: recruitment, facilitation, public speaking, organizational development. Create evolving roles for members and coordinate volunteers.
- Political Education of grassroots leaders and members on our evolving Theory of Social Change; develop activities to deepen understanding of the issues as well as the political landscape surrounding our policy campaigns at the state and local level.
- Direct Action Campaign Development and Implementation including: assist in development of campaign strategy and tactical plans; coordinate campaign activities and actions; represent and train grassroots leaders to represent the organization in campaign meetings with policy makers and media.
- Department planning and Administration including: Plan outreach and organizing, rigorous tracking and reporting of ongoing work and results, database maintenance and work planning.
- Development of Organizing Materials: Including raps, fliers, newsletters, fact sheets, pledge cards, etc.
- Grassroots Fundraising through recruiting dues paying members and by supporting and developing leaders to raise funds.
Qualifications and Requirements:
ü Commitment to the principles and goals of SCOPE.
ü Excellent verbal and written communication.
ü Ability to work with diverse people communities and cultures.
ü Hardworking, self-disciplined, and work well under pressure.
ü Willing to work evenings and some Saturdays.
ü Knowledge of the issues affecting low-income communities in Los Angeles and of the Los Angeles political landscape a plus.
ü Ability to motivate community members to take action.
ü Ability to plan and manage work effectively.
ü Valid CA drivers’ license and access to a car.
ü Basic computer skills (MS Excel, MS Word, MS Publisher & use of database software).
Full benefits (health/dental/vision), excellent vacation, training and room for advancement
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
“SCOPE/HR” via email, mail or fax:
email@example.com | 1715 W. Florence Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90047 | fax (323) 789-7939
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE