Details: Yearly Salary
Vice President, Product
Location: Flexible (Boston, MA preferred); with up to 25% travel
Position is available: Immediately
WHO WE ARE
Achievement Network (ANet) is a nonprofit dedicated to educational equity. We help schools boost student learning with great teaching that's grounded in standards, informed by data, and built on the successful practices of educators around the country. Founded in 2005, ANet now serves over 700 schools educating over 230,000 students across the country. Our support has consistently helped our partner schools—both district and charter—achieve breakthrough results for their students.
ANet has received multiple awards and recognitions, most recently receiving the highest ratings (Tier 1) on our math and ELA formative assessments from the Louisiana Department of Education, the only organization to receive such high marks. We were also named to The NonProfit Time's “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and in the 2018-19 school year will be launching the Breakthrough Results Fund, a four-year collaboration to prove what's possible in instructional improvement.
ANet is a dynamic, values driven, team-oriented organization that is committed to the growth and development of all staff members. Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to join an exceptional team of colleagues committed to helping schools drive excellent teaching and learning by investing in each other and learning together.
ANet works alongside leadership teams in schools and systems to deliver equitable instruction, and the VP, Product is responsible for designing and executing on a product technology strategy that best supports our instructional products. Our suite of products and services include school and system coaching, professional learning and standards-based assessments and resources. ANet has several platforms that enable equitable instruction which the VP will support including:
- MyANet is a teacher- and leader-facing web application that provides interim assessment data reports, standards-based resources, and a portal to support online test administration.
- Our Assessment Delivery System enables students to take online assessments and quizzes.
- Our Quiz Tool is built to enable teachers to create short-cycle assessments.
- Internal applications include an Assessment Development Tool used by our internal content team and a Roster Tool used by our Operations team to support assessment administration and data reporting.
- We also leverage Tableau and a data warehouse to support additional reporting products.
The VP will oversee the creation and execution of a long-term product technology roadmap, manage research into new technology-enabled product offerings, recommend technology strategy that maximizes resources and impact and meets the needs of partners, and lead relationships with technology building block vendors. Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, the VP will ensure that our approach to product technology strategy is sound, coherent and mission-aligned and will manage a Product Management team to support these endeavors.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Develop and lead a clear vision and strategy for the future direction of ANet's product technology
- In close coordination with the Product Steering Committee, set the product technology vision in support of our overall vision for our instructional content products (assessments, reports, resources, etc)
- Design and manage the research process and roadmap decisions that enable our technology to deliver strong instructional products that support teaching and learning in schools
- Set strategic direction of our technology including identifying when to use third-party vendors, integrate with other technologies and/or adopt new technical frameworks
- Seek out innovative solutions that deliver on needs of our product and service offerings
- Ensure back end and user technological coherence and efficiency within our many products
- Develop philosophy and approach to requirement prioritization and lead team to strategic conclusions
- Keep up to date on the shifts in the EdTech competitive landscape to ensure ANet is leveraging the best technologies possible to reach our mission
Manage a Product Management Team to:
- Collaborate with stakeholders and/or users to shape the strategy and execution of product technology
- Execute on the roadmap including facilitating conversations with stakeholders and delivering actionable requirements to engineers
- Ensure clear and agreed upon acceptance criteria and test cases are in place
- Decide, simplify and manage use of our internal tools for information collection, sharing and progress monitoring relative to product building
- Decide the sequence to build technology that maximizes resources and outcomes
- Actively monitor progress and elevate opportunities and risks for broader decision making
- Ensure we have coherent and accurate internal documentation of project plan with dependencies, roadmap, features and backlog
- Manage process of backlog grooming
- In collaboration with engineering leadership, recommend allocation of engineering resources given knowledge of priorities, capacity and requirements
- Obsess over great user experience and ensure technology is intuitive and impactful for students, teachers and leaders
- Support communication, training and marketing of our products to network teams and users
Build, develop, and retain a high-performing and highly engaged team
- Manage a skilled and diverse team with a positive, inclusive culture that brings out each team member's strengths and that aligns to ANet's mission and core values
- Develop team members to continuously improve by providing high impact feedback and coaching; manage towards excellence in their roles while being committed to their long-term development
- Ensure that cross-team communication, structures and coordination are smooth, efficient and values aligned
- Manage a team budget and resource allocation to balance limited resources with maximum impact
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
- You have previously designed and led product strategy within the education or EdTech spaces, ideally for teacher- or leader-facing products, and managed teams around product management and product development
- Your exceptional judgment and strategic thinking, particularly around resource tradeoffs, has helped you define products, design product roadmaps and deliver organizational value through product development in the past
- You are an exceptional communicator who can translate technology, product, and service needs to business owners and technologists (e.g. “you speak both languages”)
- You have a proven track record of building and managing great teams with success in developing a strategic vision and leading your team towards outcomes while fostering a positive, inclusive team culture
- You have been the lead on complex, cross-functional, and collaborative projects with aggressive timelines
- You are knowledgeable about online assessment creation and delivery technology, platforms, and best practices
- You understand software development life-cycles and best practices and bring experience leveraging usage data to inform UI design and prioritization and experience with Agile Product Management
- You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily. You are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet's Advance Equity and People Matter values.
- You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
WHAT WE OFFER
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year's holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please click on the blue “Apply” button. You will then be prompted to complete a brief application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter in which you outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Minimum Education Required