Details: Depending on experience
135 North Mission Road
Promesa Boyle Heights is seeking a mission-driven leader who is passionate and committed to social justice, racial justice, and education justice to lead the collaborative and advance our work to improve conditions in Boyle Heights at the individual, school, and systems level by building a movement of partner organizations, students, and families collaborating to close the opportunity gap and strengthen supports for students and their families from cradle through college and career.
Reporting to the Promesa BH Steering Committee and the Promesa BH General Assembly, the Lead Director (a.k.a. Director) will lead the collaborative’s strategic growth and serve as a public ambassador for the initiative. The Director will manage and support four focus area teams (Community School Team, Organizing Team, Early Education Team, and Wellness Team) that include 15+ staff, 24+ partners, 3 schools, and 40+ resident leaders. The Director will also drive Promesa Boyle Heights’ internal and external functions, including strategy, communications, community engagement, and evaluation.
The Director will be responsible for facilitating the collective success of our community vision and goals, including:
● Provide visionary, adaptive leadership, modeling Promesa Boyle Heights guiding values at all times and fostering a culture that reflects them;
● Developing, coaching and mentoring Promesa Boyle Heights team members;
● Establishing, facilitating, and executing effective and open communication with staff, particularly related to internal decisions and strategy;
● Developing systems to share organizational decisions with the Promesa Boyle Heights Steering Committee, General Assembly, Comite de Lideres and staff members; and Proyecto Pastoral leadership;
Identifying capacity gaps and creating hiring plans and operational plans that acknowledge and plan for possible organizational growth and/or restructuring.
● Oversee the implementation of strategies outlined in the strategic plan and, when needed, support the development of other strategies that will drive transformative change in the region;
● Maintaining understanding of current implementation challenges and developing comprehensive solutions to address them;
● In concert with relevant workgroups, developing annual goals connected to the strategic plan, policy and funding recommendations with guidance of the Promesa Boyle Heights Steering Committee;
● Providing direction and support to partner organizations in aligning their work to the Common Agenda;
● Acting as a neutral convener and helping resolve conflicts or disagreements among Solution Teams, General Assembly, Comite de Lideres, and Steering Committee.
Supporting Success of Collaborative Governance Structure and Solution Teams:
● Work with staff to lead planning for Steering Committee and General Assembly meeting preparation and facilitation;
● Building and maintaining relationships with collaborative partners and members of Steering Committee, General Assembly, Comite de Lideres, Proyecto Directors, and Proyecto Board;
● Coordinating with other projects and coalitions in the same field to maintain a full understanding of the current landscape of local and regional activities, and integrating their work into Steering Committee and Solution Team processes;
● Cultivate excellent working relationships with senior education and community leaders involved in this initiative in a way that can inspire collective action without formal authority; and
● Building and maintaining strong relationships with community adult and young residents and community partners.
● Identifying potential funding sources to support Promesa Boyle Heights goals and work with development team to develop and implement fundraising strategy;
● Providing support and guidance to partner organizations in aligning resources to Promesa Boyle Heights plan (e.g., supporting identification of grant opportunities that align to Promesa Boyle Heights goals); and
● Developing relationships with potential funders and participating in relevant networks.
Shared Strategy and Measurement:
● Oversee the development and implementation of a shared measurement system that will track common outcomes and indicators across the initiative and use results to inform learning and continuous improvement;
● Identifying improvements in use of data-driven decision-making and ensuring that data is collected, integrated, and communicated effectively across the organization.
This is an outstanding opportunity to play a critical role in supporting school and community transformation in Boyle Heights. Therefore, first and foremost, the Lead Director must be committed to the mission and overarching goals of Promesa Boyle Heights. Additionally, the successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
● 10+ years of relevant work experience, including at least 3 years managing teams in a fast-paced and high-growth nonprofit or social enterprise environment;
● At least five years of fundraising experience and demonstrated success in cultivating fundraiser relationships;
● A track record of leading, inspiring, and developing high performance teams;
● The executive presence to inspire confidence and passion in both internal and external audiences;
● Advanced strategy and planning skills, including an ability to think strategically on both organizational and systemic levels over multi-year horizons;
● Strong data acumen and ability to oversee complex shared-measurement systems;
● Experience with complex project management and stakeholder management;
● Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build authentic relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders, including Spanish-speaking resident adult and youth leaders; and
● Comfort with ambiguity and ability to thrive in a fluid, entrepreneurial environment; willingness to “roll up one’s sleeves” and extend beyond formal responsibilities based on the needs of the work.
● Advanced degree in management, education, policy, or related field;
● Familiarity with the local area and / or education, social justice, and community transformation.
● Spanish-speaking ability strongly preferred.
**Proyecto Pastoral is an equal opportunity employer. Women, LGBTQIA and people of color are encouraged to apply. Spanish-speaking ability, experience working in nonprofits, and/or Boyle Heights lived experience is a BIG plus.
Promesa Boyle Heights is a passionate collaborative of residents, youth, schools, local organizations and public/private institutions working together to realize a vision where: 1) every child has an opportunity to learn, grow and succeed from cradle through college and career; 2) families can live a stable, healthy and fulfilling life; and 3) every individual is empowered to act and create a more just and interdependent community. For more information, visit: www.promesaboyleheights.org
Work Environment: Promesa is a community-led, progressive, and innovative collaborative in Boyle Heights. The Promesa BH staff strives to maintain a high degree of trust, team spirit, and energy while working to build community power and capacity. While employed by Proyecto Pastoral, the CS Manager works closely and is also accountable to the Promesa Boyle Heights General Assembly and Steering Committee and the partner schools.
Proyecto Pastoral is a founding Steering Committee member and the lead backbone organization for the Promesa Boyle Heights collaborative. Proyecto Pastoral at Dolores Mission was founded in 1986 by community residents and the California Province of Jesuits. It has grown into a highly effective community - building organization. Proyecto Pastoral is committed to involving local community members in the planning, design and implementation of its programs. Proyecto Pastoral serves over 2,500 children, youth and families annually through its five programs. For more information, visit: www.proyectopastoral.org
Competitive benefits and vacation package
Minimum Education Required