The Development Director leads Mercado Global’s fundraising program and team. The position reports into and works closely with the organization’s Executive Director. The Development Director is responsible for meeting annual fundraising goals via grants, corporate sponsorships, fundraising events, and our annual appeal. The Development Director’s team manages donor relationships and the organization’s donor communications calendar, including overseeing the creation of key communication tools, such as the annual report and quarterly updates.
Mercado Global seeks a Development Director who is passionate about growing a cutting-edge model for fighting poverty and empowering women. He/she should have significant fundraising experience, leadership capabilities, self-initiative, and strong communication skills.
This position provides fundraising professionals with the opportunity to work with our network of institutional partners, donors, our talented team in Guatemala, and the indigenous women we serve. This position is initially based at our headquarters in Panajachel, Guatemala with the opportunity to transfer to our offices in Brooklyn, NY in 6 months after spending time working with our local team.
- Develop and implement fundraising strategy and annual fundraising plan
- Work closely with the Executive Director and the Board development committee to identify, cultivate, and solicit individual major donors
- Develop individual donor solicitations (annual appeals, project asks, event asks, corporate sponsor asks)
- Report fundraising progress to board and support board development committee
- Cultivate and manage foundation relationships including overseeing the writing of proposals, LOI’s and reports
- Manage development team to meet fundraising goals, including supervision of donor communication strategies, event strategies, and development operations
- A bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years of fundraising experience. A background in international development and/or non-profits preferred.
- Demonstrated success in developing fundraising strategies and meeting fundraising goals
- Demonstrated success in cultivating and managing major donor relationships
- Excellent writing skills and proven success in writing donor correspondence
- Experience in grant writing and managing foundation relationships
- Staff management experience
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to move multiple projects forward simultaneously
- Proficiency in written and spoken Spanish a plus
- Enthusiasm for Mercado Global’s mission
- Flexibility, drive and a sense of humor
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter, resume, and references to Ruth DeGolia at HR@mercadoglobal.org. Please indicate “Development Director” in the subject line of your email.
Minimum Education Required