441 East 148th Street
An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
Social Worker- Maternity Leave (Available June 2018)
Girls Prep Lower East Side Middle School
New York, NY
Overview: About Public Prep
The Public Prep Network (PPN) is a nonprofit organization that develops single-sex elementary and middle public schools that pursue excellence through continuous learning and data-driven instruction. Our model is designed to empower each student to build strong character, demonstrate critical thinking, possess a core body of knowledge and be on a predictive path to earn a degree from a four-year university.
Our network is currently comprised of three tuition-free single-sex public charter schools across five campuses and one tuition-free single-sex Pre-K. Our campuses are: Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary, Girls Prep Lower East Side Middle School, Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School, Girls Prep Bronx Middle School, and Boys Prep Elementary School. The Pre-K program, PrePrep: the Joan Ganz Cooney Early Learning Center, is housed inside of Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School.
Public Preparatory Network/Public Preparatory Academies is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Why teach at the Public Preparatory Network
At Public Prep we believe that joy, warmth, and high levels of student engagement are the foundation of a school culture where students achieve academically and develop character strengths. In the words of one community member, “Every student, every family and every Girls Prep staff member plays an important part of our amazing school, a school filled with energy, personality, hardworking people and a great deal of commitment.”
We believe in order to do that, schools not only need to deliver meaningful academics through an engaging and rigorous way, but we understand the importance of incorporating arts, the sciences, community and strong core values into our program. Our goal each day is not to only stimulate the mind, but also to reach the whole child in providing a safe consistent environment to learn and grown in. Our staff believe children learn best when they gain self-confidence and purpose when a caring community of educators not only care about their academic achievements but are truly invested in them socially and emotionally.
The School Social Worker reports to the Director of Student and Family Affairs and is an integral member of the student support team. The School Social Worker supports the development of students by providing psychotherapy, counseling, and support for families and instructional staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide psychotherapy to Girls Prep students with Individual Education Plans (IEPs) and to other students identified by Girls Prep staff
- Liaison with teaching and administrative staff to support students’ goals
- Facilitate interaction and communication with families as needed to implement strategies for improving adaptive abilities
- Participate in Child Study Team Meetings
- Educate staff in areas where emotional issues affect educational progress
- Connect families to social services
- Collaborate with school based and clinical supervisors
- Reflect on progress as a School Counselor at Girls Prep
- Seek out professional resources and attend professional development to meet the needs of Girls Prep students to continuously improve practice
- Support the school as directed by the Principal/Director of Student and Family Affairs
- Provide feedback to teachers and other staff pertaining to students social and emotional well being
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- A Master’s Degree in Social Work from an accredited college or university
- Licensed Master of Social Work or Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- At least 3-5 years of demonstrated success working with children and families
- School-based counseling experience in a high-performing, urban school setting
- Exceptional organization and planning skills
- Superior communication skills
- An ability to work collaboratively
- A commitment to single-sex education
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
Please be sure to attach a resume and a cover letter detailing how your experience makes you a suitable candidate for this opportunity.
Minimum Education Required