Details: Depends on experience.
317 Lenox Avenue, 10th Floor
THE NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENDER SERVICE OF HARLEM (NDS) is a community-based, client-centered, holistic public defense office located in Harlem, providing criminal, civil, and family representation. NDS Clients are represented by multidisciplinary teams. NDS is accepting applications for the position of Investigator with the Homicide Defense Team.
The Homicide Defense Team at NDS represents residents of Northern Manhattan who are charged with homicide and who cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Clients are represented by a team comprised of a staff attorney, an investigator, a mitigation specialist, and a paralegal. NDS also provides pre-arrest representation to clients under threat of arrest. NDS adheres to a client-centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes. NDS is committed to addressing the comprehensive legal and social service needs of clients.
1. Work closely with team members in preparing clients’ cases.
2. Conduct the team’s investigative work, including:
· Identifying, locating, and interviewing witnesses;
· Visiting, photographing, and diagramming locations;
· Obtaining documents, reports, and other materials from a variety of sources;
· Preparing investigative reports and trial exhibits.
3. Testify at trial.
4. Document investigative work in the case management system.
1. Must possess a demonstrated commitment to criminal justice, indigent defense, social justice issues and/or the Harlem communities.
2. Must possess strong organizational skills in order to manage a high caseload and multi-task in a very fast-paced environment;
3. Must possess excellent interpersonal, analytical, writing, and communication skills;
4. Must possess energy, enthusiasm and ingenuity to gather and develop information from a broad spectrum of sources, ranging from community residents to City agencies;
5. Must be able to work cooperatively in a team setting;
6. Must have experience on working with homicides or serious violent felony cases; including investigating those matters, devising an investigation strategy, and reviewing the work of NYPD homicide detectives, OCME paperwork and other similar issues that are germane to defending clients in these most serious cases;
7. Must be a college graduate;
8. Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
The Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Full medical and dental benefits, as well as other benefits, are provided.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish language fluency is preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Investigator, Homicide Defense Team.” Please send your application as one document, preferably PDF. For more information about NDS, please visit our website at www.ndsny.org.