We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTW people, to join our team.
The Project One America Field Organizer (Alabama) position reports to the Project One America State Director (Alabama) and is based in Alabama.
The Alabama Field Organizer will work with the Alabama State Director to execute HRC’s political and educational organizing activities in Alabama, including maintaining and expanding HRC’s ability to mobilize grassroots advocacy on behalf of LGBTQ legislative priorities, designing and implementing grassroots electoral and campaign strategies in support of candidates and legislative and ballot initiatives, and developing issues-based organizing plans for assigned areas. The Field Organizer will also work to increase HRC’s visibility and presence in Alabama and build strong partnerships with state and local LGBTQ and allied organizations.
Under the direction of the Project One America Alabama State Director, the Field Organizer will do the following:
· Strategic Political Plans: Implement the goals of the Strategic Political and Education Plans for Alabama, and assist in ensuring the integration of these plans into HRC’s strategic legislative, electoral, membership, education and communication goals with appropriate benchmarks
· Field and Volunteer grassroots support: Be responsible for day-to-day support for volunteer advocacy in Alabama, provide assistance to political, educational and volunteer activities of HRC members and other activists as outlined in Alabama’s Strategic Plan.
o Increase the number of activists identified and willing to take action in relationship with HRC.
o Ensure the vitality of our state and local volunteer network and further its growth in support of Project One America goals.
o Develop methods to increase our grassroots network.
o Manage field and other campaign programs such as voter registration, member mobilization, voter contact, communications and get-out-the-vote activities in assigned campaigns.
· Federal, state, and municipal electoral activities: Work with Alabama State Director to implement electoral strategies to support HRC-endorsed candidates, as well as provide assistance to HRC-supported legislative and ballot initiative campaigns in their region.
· Federal, state and municipal advocacy: Implement strategies and campaigns for supporting federal, state and municipal legislation and advocacy efforts in Alabama, and provide technical support and assistance to maximize HRC’s in-district lobbying efforts in coordination with local volunteers, with special attention to targeted areas.
· Faith advocacy: Help develop faith-based strategies and goals for work in the state. Identify, develop, train and engage faith leaders for media, advocacy, programming, facilitated dialogues and public education efforts in priority faith communities, including White Evangelicals, Latino Christians, and Black Protestants. Mobilize people of faith in Alabama to support municipal and other campaigns. Identify opportunities and implement tactics to highlight support of faith communities, specifically among evangelicals.
· Special constituents: Build strong relationships in selected constituencies in Alabama, including people of color, transgender communities, religious communities, youth, business communities and others. Participate in strategic partnerships with other organizations and groups to support HRC’s outreach and increase HRC’s visibility.
· Training: Participate in the design and implementation of training programs for volunteers and supporters in Alabama.
· Membership: Organize educational, political and membership events in collaboration with HRC staff and volunteer teams.
· Coalition work: Participate in strategic partnerships with key stakeholders as well as state and local organizations in Alabama, both LGBTQ and straight allies, to collaborate and develop efforts to advance the goals of Project One America and the LGBTQ movement. Lead efforts to improve field organizing among coalition partners; lead HRC’s efforts to partner effectively with state and local LGBTQ organizations in Alabama.
· Voter File Management: Manage the state voter database and track election activities across the state. Ensure volunteer activities are regularly updated in the system.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience required and at least 2-3 years of experience in legislative advocacy, electoral campaigns, or field organizing, and a demonstrated record of successful coalition-building (experience in Alabama preferred).
· Must be able to travel extensively (90%), mostly within Alabama,
· Flexibility with work schedule is required; this position requires some evening and weekend work.
· Must have valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
· Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
· Must have excellent speaking and writing skills, computer proficiency, and strong verbal communication skills.
· Must have demonstrated commitment to advancing HRC’s goals and objectives and to the organization.
· Demonstrated experience with organizing in communities of color, low-income and transgender communities.
· Knowledge of computer software associated with potential campaign data gathering or planning.
· Must be proficient with Microsoft Office applications (Word and Excel) and Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs and Drive).
· Ability to assist in the development of training curriculum and conduct workshops.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written, in large group settings.
· Ability to assess political situations and develop appropriate campaign strategies.
· Strong interest in the rapidly changing LGBTQ equality movement and a working knowledge of LGBTQ issues.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
No phone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.
Minimum Education Required