Come join one of the most dynamic youth development organizations in Greater Boston. We are seeking individuals who believe deeply in the potential of young people and the power of our mission. West End House has been deeply rooted in the Allston-Brighton community since 1971 after urban renewal destroyed its original home in the West End neighborhood, where it was founded in 1906. Our programs continue to evolve with new, expanded efforts ensuring equitable food access for all, mental wellness and trauma-informed programming, and a career pathways initiative, complementing our long-time high-impact programs in academic success, college pathways, visual and performing arts, leadership and career development, and sports, fitness, and nutrition. West End House is one of the most diverse youth agencies in Boston whose members come from 23 of the 30 Boston zip codes. Our staff is representative of the young people we serve. We are bold in our commitment and efforts to become an anti-racist, equitable organization and welcome candidates with a passion for this work.
As the Director of the Annual Giving, you will implement a year-round solicitation strategy to raise funds for the West End House’s operating budget and capital needs. In collaboration with WEH Leadership staff and volunteers, and using a data informed approach, the Director of Annual Giving will execute an integrated strategy designed to increase revenue, retain, and upgrade current donors, identify major donor prospects, attract new individual donors into the WEH’s donor pipeline, and reinforce the WEH’s brand across the region. Reporting into the Chief Development Officer, this role will spend an equal amount of time on fundraising and marketing/communications.
We seek motivated candidates who value authenticity, effective execution and a commitment to youth development.
Fundraising (50% of duties)
● Manage a portfolio of 40-50 donors with the capacity to give between $1K and $5K.
● Research and qualify major gift prospects to build WEH Leadership’s portfolios and convert these prospects to major gift donors.
● Responsible for launching initiatives to attract new donors, steward and retain current donors who give between $100 and $999
● Deploy the messaging strategy to drive revenue and donor engagement goals
● Timely, ongoing evaluation to ensure goals are achieved/surpassed.
● Coordinate peer to peer and 3rd party fundraising efforts as needed.
Marketing/Communications (50% of duties)
● Together with WEH Leadership, create a messaging strategy that embodies the organization’s essence and reflects the values, mission and impact of the Club on its members and the community
● Create content and marketing/solicitation materials to support the Annual Fund, a year-round fundraising initiative that is inclusive of recurring giving, opportunities to donate throughout the year to discrete programs and annual projects such as our Back to School and Holiday Gift drives, and support for of our end of year campaign.
● Execute communications/marketing strategy across all platforms including but not limited to digital/social/print media.
● With direction from the CDO, support development committee.
● Manage and grow a portfolio of 40-50 donors giving at least $1,000 annually in collaboration with the Chief Development Officer (CDO), based on the individual’s history of giving and knowledge of their potential and interests.
● Secure visits and directly solicit gifts from donors/prospective donors in the portfolio. Partner with staff and board/advisors to develop donor engagement and volunteer opportunities.
● Create and execute plans with individual goals for each donor/prospective donor in the portfolio, ensuring that donors are qualified, retained, and engaged so that they contribute at the highest possible levels annually.
● Work with our team to secure program information and develop materials directed at individual donors/prospects, including personalized proposals in line with donor interests and programmatic priorities and stewardship reports that detail progress.
● Design and implement special cultivation and stewardship opportunities, such as small events for select donors/prospects in the portfolio as well as larger donor cultivation and networking events.
● Assist in the identification, tracking, and engagement of potential leadership volunteers (Board of Directors, Board of Advisors) and other partners helping with leadership gifts outreach.
● Track portfolio activity and progress on a weekly basis.
Marketing & Communications
● Work closely with CDO to develop a year-round integrated strategy that includes monthly giving, year-end solicitations, and other mechanisms to grow donor pipeline
● Work with team to develop content that will span all communication platforms
● Create digital and print solicitation materials for all aspects of the Annual Fund, the year-round fundraising initiative described above.
● Connect with and build strong relationships with West End House youth, staff, alumni, volunteers, and supporters of all backgrounds.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
West End House seeks a professional with an equity-first, strengths-based mindset who has demonstrated alignment with our mission, either through lived, work, or volunteer experience in historically marginalized communities. The ideal candidate will be an up-and-coming development leader seeking an opportunity to help grow the development function in an established, caring nonprofit that values equity, innovation, and impact.
We seek candidates with 2-4 years previous experience in fundraising and/or marketing setting. You have a passion for development and fundraising, and care deeply about youth. We’ll be most excited about your candidacy if you can demonstrate prior success storytelling and delivering results in a collaborative, mission-driven environment. We do not expect candidates to meet all of the criteria listed below. Reviewing the qualifications can help you to better understand the expectations of this role.
● Commitment to West End House’s mission and values and a passion for impacting the lives of others; a champion of an asset-based approach to working with young people and families
● Development experience in nonprofit fundraising field; comfortable soliciting and closing major gifts is a priority; event management (including virtual events) experience preferred
● Ability to collaborate effectively and authentically with colleagues, senior leaders, and external partners
● Strong administrative, information management, and organizational skills, with an emphasis on time management and the ability to plan, organize, and implement numerous projects simultaneously
● Systems- and process-oriented: ability to create, follow and improve upon department systems and processes that enable the team to operate at the highest level
● Experience using data to monitor progress toward team goals, identify problems and make decisions; previous database experience desired
● With a focus on equity, desire to use and innovate beyond industry standards to reach development goals
● Self-motivated and demonstrates initiative, patience, and resourcefulness when responding and adapting to opportunities that come with change
● Experience handling confidential and sensitive information
Come join one of the most dynamic youth development organizations in Greater Boston. We are seeking individuals who believe deeply in the potential of young people and the power of our mission. West End House has been deeply rooted in the…
Salary & Retirement
We offer competitive salaries based on market value and candidate experience, including generous contributions to a 401(a) plan (no match required) to ensure our team is secure now and in the future.
The team enjoys 15 – 25 paid vacation days based on tenure with 16 holidays and eight wellness days giving them the opportunity to recharge their batteries throughout the year.
We provide strong medical, dental, and vision plans along with a flexible spending account, for you and your family, in addition to life insurance, long term and short-term disability coverage.
West End House offers generous parental leave for the birth or adoption/foster placement of a child.
We offer professional development funds for each team to use at their discretion and coordinate regular team gatherings to foster continuous learning and build community.
Team members have access to our pool & fitness center for their personal use; receive daily, scratch made meals; and can elect pre-tax commuter and childcare benefits.
Salary & Retirement
We offer competitive salaries based on market value and candidate experience, including generous contributions to a 401(a) plan (no match required) to…