500 19th Street NE
Educational Dedicated Aide
Position Description and Responsibilities
Unique opportunity to work at an innovative charter boarding school targeting foster care youth
About Monument Academy
Working with the most at-risk adolescents and established on an innovative model integrating excellent academics with evidence-based, trauma-informed practices, Monument Academy is a tuition free weekday public boarding school that opened in the 2015-2016 school year with a 5th grade class of 40 students and now has 5th & 6th grade and 80 students. SY17-18, the school will expand to 7th grade and serve a total of 120 students. We are currently authorized to expand to 8th grade and maintains the goal of growing through high school so that students will graduate from Monument Academy.
The mission of Monument Academy is to provide students, particularly those who have had or might have contact with the foster care system, with the requisite academic, social, emotional, and life skills to be successful in college, career, and community, and to create an outstanding school that attracts, supports, and retains exceptional and caring people. Monument Academy will fulfill its mission by providing stability, adult connection, high-quality academics, therapeutic support, and life skills for pre-teens and teens. Monument Academy graduates will be prepared for post-secondary education, on a career trajectory, and have the social, emotional, and self-care skills to maintain a healthy, connected, and economically self-supporting life.
About the Position
One-on- One Aide implements special education or related services and provide direct assistance for a student. This position reports directly to the Special Education Coordinator.
Shifts and hours
- Full-Time: Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m.
- Assist in the educational and social development of student under the direction of the Lead Teacher/Special Education Coordinator.
- Assist in the implementation of student’s Individualized Education Programs (IEPs).
- Monitor student progress.
- Provide support for individual student inside and outside the classroom to enable them to participate fully in activities.
- Work with other professionals, including counselors, speech therapists, social workers, occupational therapists, and physical therapists, to ensure that students IEPs are properly implemented.
- Assist classroom teachers with maintaining student records.
- Support student with emotional or behavior concerns and assist in developing appropriate social skills.
- Assist in the preparation and display of student work.
- Assist classroom teacher with copying items to support teaching.
- Engage parents and families in their student's learning and acting as an ambassador for the school in the community.
- Contribute productively to the school as a whole.
- Attend and participate in school events outside of regular school hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
The ideal candidate will:
- Associate's degree and passed the ParaPro Exam, or 60 credits hours, BA or MA.
- Child Development Associate's credential and/or coursework in early childhood education/human development strongly preferred
- Two years experience working in special education and/or with individuals with Autism/severe behavioral and academic issues strongly preferred.
- Have prior work or volunteer experience with children or student with special needs.
- Be committed to meeting the needs of a diverse student population.
- Have a track record of being a team player and community minded.
- Be committed to their own learning.
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to work independently.
- Adherence to a high level of professional and ethical standards.
Monument Academy offers competitive salaries, commensurate with experience. The school offers a strong benefits package that includes health care (HMO and PPO options), retirement plan (employer match available), Flexible Spending accounts, supplemental insurance through AFLAC, and generous vacation leave for its administrators
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Visit the “Careers” page on www.monumentacademy.org. Click the “Apply Here” link. You will be asked to create a profile, then fill out an application, including uploading your resume and cover letter. Salary and benefits are competitive, and commensurate with education, and level of work experience. Monument Academy is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and encourages applicants from all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected status. All employment decisions are made solely on the basis of the individual’s qualifications, as related to the requirements of the position being filled.