921 W. 6th Ave.
The Digital Organizer is a key member of the Communications Team for The Alaska Center and The Alaska Center Education Fund, collaborating with program and fundraising staff to mobilize and grow our statewide base of advocates and supporters.
In both issue and electoral advocacy, the Digital Organizer engages supporters through email, social media, digital ads, mobile platforms, website(s) and other online mediums. This position will work collaboratively with organizers and program staff to implement best practice communications strategies to engage Alaskans on key issues and build support for our programs. This is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to be a part of a team that runs innovative online campaigns to advance social change - in a fun, fast-paced, and supportive environment!
The ideal candidate for this position will have a strong grasp for how to convey messages that resonate with the public and galvanizes them to action; a strong political sensibility in determining which messages and approach are appropriate for various situations; an organizing mindset that supports individuals in using and sharing messages through digital platforms; and an ability to work quickly to produce top-quality products.
Advocacy and Program Support The digital organizer will work closely with “on the ground” organizers to build a cohesive campaign that fully integrates supporters across a range of online and offline engagement.
● Generate opportunities to identify and engage campaign supporters and drive measurable online actions through the creation of alerts, infographics, key messages, etc.
● Utilize social media and texting programs to maximize digital list building.
● Deepen supporters sense of identity and involvement with a multitude of campaigns, including both online and offline engagement.
● Perform uploads to email database and facilitate email campaign list selection and segmentation testing and strategy.
● Understand and apply data analytics related to the campaign email list, website, and social channels to improve the effectiveness of the campaign.
● Write compelling copy for online and offline engagement.
● Setup emails, donation forms, advocacy alerts, surveys, and other communications under the direction of the Communications and Creative Manager.
● Create dynamic online content from org and partner events, actions, and interviews through photography, video, and editing.
● Monitor and coordinate response to feedback from members about our campaigns and messaging and provide regular updates to the rest of the department and the organization.
● Work with staff and volunteers on email and social media best practices and support implementation to distribute email drafting, social media posting, and other tasks.
● Reinforce a culture of non-partisan advocacy in all communications.
● Archive and tag all photo and video content across programs and campaigns.
Youth Program Support The Digital Organizer will work with youth program coordinators to support campaigns, fundraising, and brand growth.
● Capture and create visual and written content to highlight our camp and other youth programs.
● Support fundraising campaigns with digital tools and online content.
● Manage social media programs for seasonal youth programs.
● Update websites as needed with engaging and branded content.
Development Utilize social tools and new media opportunities to support the communications plans for major and micro-fundraising programs and events throughout the year.
● Keep website(s) up to date with current fundraising information, strategies, and forms.
● Grow email list through cross-promotions with allied organizations, paid services, demographic targeting, and other acquisition strategies across developed platforms and through new platform growth.
● Implement new and innovative opportunities for audience expansion by staying connected to peers and digital communities.
● Manage a social and online strategy for major and micro-fundraising campaigns
● Create engaging content to support key fundraising campaigns & events through email, digital targeting, and online community curation.
● Integrate advocacy communications with fundraising opportunities through the use of “theory of change.”
● Set personal fundraising goal in the annual work plan that utilizes digital tools and supplements the comms team needs
Conditions of Employment: This is a full-time position that must be based in Alaska. Salary is dependent on experience with a generous and competitive benefits package. This position will travel within Alaska as necessary to achieve organizational and individual work plan goals with minimal out-of-state travel for training and conferences. All Alaska Center staff have access to professional development opportunities.
The Alaska Center provides a supportive work environment with excellent benefits and incentives. The Alaska Center is an equal opportunity employer. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Digital Organizer” in the subject line. Position open until filled. The first review of applications will be November 8 2018. No phone calls please.
Level of Language Proficiency
Education & Experience: Minimum of 1.5 years of experience in one of the following fields: social media management, online organizing, communications, email advocacy, new media, or other related fields. Field or campaigns experience a plus.
Preferred Skills The Digital Organizer position is ideal for a detail-oriented writer, marketer, and organizer who is ready to work collaboratively and effectively to manage digital plans from start to finish.
● Superior writing and editing skills.
● Flexibility and a positive attitude. Solution oriented and ability to move forward.
● Strong political sensibility with an understanding of the intersectionality of our work, the history of our state, and the communities we engage.
● Commitment to understand race, class, gender, and other equity issues as part of your work as well as the impact these structural issues have on our collective work environment and a commitment to just transitions.
● Proficiency in the strategic use of Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms, as well as social media management systems.
● Quick to adapt to new technology; interest in learning or enhancing design skills for digital mediums.
● Experience with Google Analytics, WordPress, BlueStateDigital, NGP VAN / EveryAction, and/or other advocacy platforms.
● Work well in a fast-paced environment and able to multitask without sacrificing quality of work.
● Comfortability with collaborative process and ability to take both leadership and guidance.
● Graphic design and Photoshop/InDesign/Adobe skills.
● Experience using social media for advocacy purposes.
● Experience marketing elections and GOTV campaigns.
● A strong sense of storytelling.
● Ability to mentor others in digital organizing skills.
● Willing to take risks, apply imagination, think outside the box, and work with multiple sectors and issues.
● Exceptional organizational and time management skills
● Ability to manage up and set your own priorities.
Minimum Education Required