Avaaz is winning major victories to bring about a better world and this role on the Operations team is crucial to powering that success. Operations Officers play a key role in the Operations Department, which supports all aspects of Avaaz’s global activities.
You will focus primarily on day-to-day finance, and you will also engage with human resources, legal, and other administrative functions of Avaaz as needed. This position calls for a finance operations professional with killer attention to detail, loads of enthusiasm for maintaining accurate and healthy financial systems, and an ability to engage with both the minute and broad aspects of nonprofit finance.
You will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer or a Senior Operations Officer, and work with the whole Operations Team, which also includes Operations Officers, Operations Associates, Executive and Personal Assistants, and an outside team of financial controllers.
- Managing the overall payments process, keeping to deadlines, and optimizing the process for maximum efficiency and accuracy.
- Processing all invoices for payment.
- Reviewing credit card reports and expense reports.
- Liaising with vendors to ensure timely payments and ensure proper approval and documentation is complete.
- Preparing for monthly close, annual audit, and other financial reporting
- Ensuring all Quickbooks entries are complete and correct.
- Legal, tax, and other regulatory compliance.
- Collaborating with the rest of the Operations team on financial aspects of Avaaz operations.
- Other Operations functions as needed.
- Finance and/or accounting experience.
- Quickbooks or other accounting package experience.
- Good computer skills in general.
- Good strategic, creative, and innovative thinking.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Passion and commitment to global justice, citizen empowerment, and social change.
- High professionalism, self-motivation, efficiency and results-oriented delivery on short timelines.
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture and a hierarchical team structure.
- Strong project and staff management skills.
- Experience with business operations, preferably in the non-profit sector.
- Ability to adjust quickly to changing conditions and requirements.
Avaaz is a virtual organization, with most of our work done over email, telephone, and Skype. Our staff are based in cities all over the world and meet at team retreats twice per year. Avaaz covers office costs, either to establish a home office or to rent one, and we support staff to house themselves in local similar organizations when preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary varies with location and experience but is highly competitive with leading nongovernmental organizations. Benefits also range with location, but include 5 weeks paid vacation per year.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in English is a requirement. Additional languages are an asset.
Minimum Education Required