Office Manager/Customer Support for Investigative Journalism Non-Profit in Harvard Square
- Job posted by MuckRock Foundation
1151 Massachusetts Avenue
We’re looking for a highly organized office manager and customer support lead to help our fast growing non-profit continue to have a positive impact around the country and the world. Supporting tens of thousands of users across a variety of digital transparency tools and powering journalism read by millions each month, MuckRock is used by news organizations like the New York Times, BuzzFeed, and VICE to power world-class reporting in the digital age. We’re also used by leading non-profits, activists, researchers, and the general public to power a more informed democracy that works for everyone.
The office manager will be the organization’s logistical quarterback, managing a remote support team, organizing and scanning incoming mail, tracking and planning inventory for our online store, serving as the second line for user support and helping set the organizational structures we need to continue to grow.
This position requires someone who is highly organized, can help develop and implement flexible structure, and wants a role that will provide future opportunities for career and skill growth. You should be comfortable writing support and help documentation, preparing weekly reports highlighting key developments and metrics, excited to help a passionate community, and interested in helping out with the logistics for everything from a book launch to an international investigative reporting project.
You should be comfortable with basic digital publishing tools such as WordPress, customer service software such as Zoho or ZenDesk, as well as Google Suite tools, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel. Prior help desk and office management experience is a major plus, as is an interest and passion for a more transparent, responsive government.
Responsibilities are varied and include:
- Triaging and responding to customer support queries, as well as providing guidance and instruction for other support resources to respond.
- Following up with government agencies to get updates on the status of information requests and build ongoing relationships.
- Manage large volume of outgoing and incoming mail, including scanning and routing dozens of letters and packages each day.
- Creating help desk and software documentation for both internal and external usage.
- Fielding and making phone calls both about customer service as well as helping check and update our database of government agency contacts.
- Tracking inventory of store items and helping resupply items, as well as identifying other opportunities for merchandise growth.
- Provide administrative support for summer interns and student co-ops, including welcome packets, shift scheduling, and general guidance on administrative tasks.
- Assist with onboarding processes for future hires, including developing processes and materials for a smooth welcome process.
- Track and replenish office supplies, business cards, and other items necessary for a functioning workplace, as well as supervising the maintenance and alteration for an orderly, clean office that’s welcoming and enjoyable for staff and visitors.
- Assist as needed in managing office calendar, including occasionally coordinating guest visits, events, and travel.
- Identify and address gaps in internal processes, helping develop company policies and best practices as necessary.
- Occasional assistance with editing and managing presentation slides and materials.
- Assisting in updating and organizing potential sales contacts, grant deadlines, and key donor data, as well as developing a strategy for following up with donors with ideas for donor retention and appreciation.
- Identify and propose changes in process to help the organization run more smoothly.
- Actively participating in twice-weekly staff meetings, coordinating with department heads and highlighting potential upcoming or current challenges.
- The ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information and follow through on proper digital and physical security measures, including ensuring sensitive materials are locked or secured.
Qualities and experience we’re looking for in a candidate:
- Strong organizational skills, with proven experience prioritizing work and coordinating several projects at one time.
- A strong focus on detail and accuracy of work with the ability to take full ownership of assigned work.
- Strong interpersonal and project/time management skills.
- Strong writing, copyediting, and proofreading skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, Powerpoint), Adobe Acrobat, Gmail, and Google Calendar, and the ability to learn and manage new software tools as needed.
- Comfortable with spreadsheets and light numerical analysis.
- Experience with Customer Service and Customer Relationship software, such as SalesForce, Zoho, or ZenDesk.
- Proficiency and speed in using a scanner.
- Previous experience as an office manager or in customer service is a plus, as is previous supervisory experience.
Position includes health, vision, and dental benefits.
Minimum Education Required