The Common Application is a not-for-profit member organization of over 800 leading colleges and universities in the United States and around the world. Since 1975, The Common Application has been committed to the pursuit of access, equity, and integrity in the college admission process. Each year, over 1 million students use the Common Application online system to submit more than 5 million applications.
Reporting to the Controller, the Staff Accountant will be an essential part of the Organization in helping to carry out the day-to day responsibilities of the Finance/Accounting Department. Tasks include processing of accounts payable, performing general accounts analysis and reconciliations, preparing General Journal entries, and assisting in the preparation of financial reports.
We are looking for a motivated, detail-oriented professional with strong analytical skills and a passion for financial analysis. This is the ideal position for a hardworking, reliable individual looking to work in a collaborative and collegial workplace learning from, with, and among smart, interesting, and fun professionals.
Reports to the Controller
Essential Responsibilities / Duties:
· Assist the Controller with the day-to-day, monthly and year-end operations of the Accounting/ Finance Department;
· Perform the processing and recording of accounts payable transactions and ensure that all invoices and staff reimbursements are paid timely and accurately and in accordance with Finance policies and procedures;
· Review and process credit card expense reports and receipts submitted by cardholders on a monthly basis;
· Perform general accounts analysis and reconciliations as assigned, including but not limited to bank reconciliations, fixed assets, employer’s benefit costs, accruals and prepaid expenses;
· Prepare assigned monthly General Journal entries;
· Assist with customer billing and the processing of cash receipts;
· Assist in the preparation of financial reports such as financial statements, budget review and analysis, and grant management and reporting;
· Assist with annual audit preparation; and
· Support the Finance and Administrative team with administrative tasks as needed.
Desired Skills and Experiences:
· A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, or an Associate’s degree in Business with emphasis in Accounting, is required. Two years of verifiable, relevant experience preferred.
· Must be highly skilled in dealing with financial and numeric data.
· Be able to demonstrate attention to details and good record-keeping.
· Be able to work on many different projects at one time.
· Be able to learn new software applications quickly
· Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Must be proactive in following up on outstanding issues and propose solutions to any issues/concerns.
· Must be highly skilled in use of Excel Spreadsheets.
· Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, with the ability to clearly communicate issues to all levels of management.
To respond to this opportunity, send resume with cover letter to:
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive salary and an extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental, and vision benefits. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our staff, where people can learn and grow. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative workplace where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
Minimum Education Required