360 East 161st Street
The Bronx Defenders – an innovative, progressive, holistic indigent defense office in the South Bronx – seeks an enthusiastic Communications Associate with a commitment to social justice and experience serving individuals in racially and socioeconomically marginalized communities.
Since opening our doors in 1997, The Bronx Defenders has served over 300,000 clients in Bronx County. The Bronx Defenders pioneered a model of legal representation called holistic defense, designed to fight both the causes and consequences of court-involvement. Our staff of over 280 lawyers and advocates work on interdisciplinary teams made up of criminal defense, civil, immigration, and family defense attorneys, as well as social workers, legal advocates, parent advocates, investigators, and team administrators, all of whom work to provide holistic legal and social service advocacy to our clients. The Bronx Defenders also houses a community organizing and an impact litigation team, serving as a community resource and force for systemic change. We engage with clients, community residents, and policymakers as we seek ways to better serve the Bronx community and enhance access to justice for all.
The Communications Associate will be a critical part of The Bronx Defenders holistic defense team. This person will be responsible for passionately promoting the work of The Bronx Defenders and amplifying the voice of the community we serve through media relations (including traditional and social), creative content, and knowledge management. The Communications Associate reports to the Director of Communications and works closely with all practice areas, including Community Organizing and Policy Reform to ensure cohesive branding, effective media advocacy strategies, and unified messaging.
The Communications Associate’s responsibilities will include:
- Manage the day-to-day operations of our social media accounts
- Serve as the initial point of contact for incoming press requests and maintain relationships with journalists, media partners, and influencers
- Help write and edit articles, press releases, editorials, email blasts, and pitches
- Help identify opportunities for and develop creative and editorial content
- Develop microcontent for digital channels that will increase the visibility and impact of our work
- Maintain press lists
- Manage editorial calendar and track communications activities
- Help monitor and evaluate performance of social posts, emails and media placements
- Collaborate with lawyers, non-lawyer advocates, and Managing Directors of each practice area to edit, develop and promote their media advocacy
- Work with staff members to draft and review promotional materials for events and announcements at The Bronx Defenders
Applicants must have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Attention to detail
- A proactive approach to job responsibilities
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and multi-task under stringent deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Passion for holistic public defense, racial justice, and social justice
- Experience working in and with racially and socioeconomically marginalized communities
- Minimum of two years of related experience preferred
The following is a plus but not required:
- Experience with design
- Spanish language skills
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please visit our career portal at the link above, select the position of interest, click APPLY FOR THIS JOB ONLINE and upload a cover letter and resume in one document when prompted. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Please contact Anna Kim, Director of Communications, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the position.
The Bronx Defenders is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, orientations, experiences and communities to apply.