Details: Competitive salary, medical & dental benefits
630 Flushing Ave, 8th Floor
Position Summary: Green City Force Team Leader
Green City Force (GCF) is an AmeriCorps program that has been nationally recognized for our innovative workforce development and service model that positively impacts Opportunity Youth living in public housing, while supporting sustainability initiatives across the City. We seek passionate, values driven self-starters to join our growing team. Successful candidates will demonstrate efficient project management, ability to troubleshoot and resolve issues effectively, and commitment to pursuing excellence in all aspects of work.
The Team Leader is responsible for supervising, coordinating, motivating, and leading teams of 10-15 young adults between the ages of 18-24, all residents of the New York City Public Housing Authority (NYCHA) enrolled as AmeriCorps members.
The Team Leader is responsible for ensuring that service delivery and Corps Member development goals are met on a day to day basis. Corps Members perform a range of service activities that include the construction, maintenance, and harvesting of urban farms across New York City, and educating NYCHA residents about key sustainability initiatives. The Team Leader Position is based primarily in the field and will be required to use mobile devices and laptops to communicate with other staff and complete requisite documentation and paperwork.
- Supervise a team of 10 - 15 AmeriCorps Members engaging in service, training, and a range of professional development opportunities
- Coach Corps Members toward fulfillment of their personal development, service commitment, and career/college goals
- Reinforce service-learning and work readiness goals by modeling exemplary professional attitude, demeanor and performance
- Hold Corps Members accountable for program expectations (job readiness, technical skills, academic achievement, life skills, etc.) and ensure consistent high-quality delivery on the various AmeriCorps service activities
- Deliver educational and training modules to Corps Members
- Plan and carry out team scheduling, manage paperwork regarding Corps Member attendance and daily service activity hours, and prepare regular reports on project and Corps Member progress
- Ensure safe work practices, a safe work environment and the proper maintenance of equipment and tools
- Serve as a liaison between GCF and community partners and individuals; model good relations and appropriate interactions with clients and other community members, and cultivate new partnerships.
- Commitment to youth development, social and economic justice, and sustainable development; passion for Green City Force’s mission
- 2-3 years of experience in, youth development, national service, sustainability sector, community organizing in low-income communities, construction, or military
- Previous demonstrated effective leadership role with young adults ages 18 – 24 from public housing or other low-income communities
- High level of professionalism, integrity, work ethic, accountability and responsibility
- Highly organized self-starter; ability to take direction, structure tasks, establish priorities and set goals
- Ability to solve problems, mediate conflicts and exercise sound judgment
- Excellent communication skills, strong interpersonal and motivational skills, excellent collaborative and teamwork skills
- Enthusiasm for, and personal commitment to, healthy sustainable living choices.
- AA or Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience related to sustainable buildings and urban agriculture.
- Direct experience living and/or working in public housing communities.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Founded in 2009, Green City Force’s (GCF) mission is to break the cycle of poverty, preparing urban young adults to succeed in their chosen careers by engaging them in service, training and work experiences related to the clean energy economy. GCF simultaneously addresses three imperatives –unemployment and the lack of prospects for family-supporting careers among low-income youth; changes to the urban environment that must be made to mitigate climate change; and stimulation of the green economy through awareness-raising and individual behavior change.
GCF has garnered awards including the NYC Mayor (Most Innovative Nonprofit), the NYC City Council, the White House (Champions of Change), Environmental Advocates of NY, The Corps Network’s Project of the Year 2016, NY Housing Conference Community Builders First prize 2016,. This is an opportunity to join an organization with a proven track record, strong growth potential, and a positive organizational culture for personal growth and collective impact as part of a dynamic team.
Green City Force is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds to apply. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law. GCF is an Employer of Service.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a resume, 3 references and a cover letter, including salary requirements to Jobs@greencityforce.org. Please indicate the position for which you are applying in the subject of your email. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We are looking to fill this position immediately.