Position: Education Coordinator
Status: Regular, Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Hours: 40 hours per week, Sunday-Thursday. Evenings, weekends, and holidays on occasion.
Reports to: Education Manager
The Education Coordinator will support the planning and implementation of Jewish and Farm educational programming and events for Coastal Roots Farm. The Education Coordinator works closely with the Education Manager to design content and curricula, deliver a wide array of educational programming and community events, and support the administrative functions of the Education Department. As the education team grows, the Education Coordinator will provide assistance to the Education Manager with training and supporting full-time and part-time Educators, as well as community volunteers.
About Coastal Roots Farm
Coastal Roots Farm (CRF) is a nonprofit community farm and education center. We cultivate healthy, connected communities by integrating sustainable agriculture, food justice, and ancient Jewish wisdom.
Since our inception in 2014, Coastal Roots Farm has provided dignified access to fresh food for those who need it most. Inspired by Jewish agricultural practices, we raise organic crops and share the harvest with our community through pay-what-you-can farm stands, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) programs, and direct donations to local hunger relief organizations. Through field trips, workshops, agricultural festivals, and community events, we offer hands-on education and invite our neighbors to connect to the land and each other.
Coastal Roots Farm is located in Encinitas, CA on approximately 15 acres of land. Our Farm consists of vegetable gardens, greenhouses, a food forest, animal pastures, compost systems, and a vineyard. Coastal Roots Farm was incubated by the Leichtag Foundation and received 501(c)(3) public charity status in 2016.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support the Education Manager and other staff to create, coordinate, implement, and evaluate Jewish and Farm educational programs and events for people of all ages, including but not limited to early childhood, teens, adults, seniors, and young and beginning farmers. Program themes to include Jewish holidays, organic gardening, Jewish farming and agricultural practices, environmental sustainability, homesteading, permaculture, biodynamics, beekeeping, composting, animal husbandry, food justice, cooking, and more.
- Designing content and curricula for Coastal Roots Farm.
- Facilitate programmatic evaluations and follow-up, including collecting feedback, administering surveys, and sending follow-up correspondence to program participants.
- Providing visitors and program participants with educational content about Jewish farm concepts, farm and garden techniques, and environmental stewardship.
- Assist with training and provide support to full-time and part-time Educators and volunteers.
- Leading tours of the Farm for outside groups and the general public.
- Assist with the development and day-to-day management of a volunteer program to support programs and events
- Attending Farm Team and other relevant meetings, reporting on education and other programming, and coordinating with the Farm Team's other relevant projects.
- Helping with various farm-related projects and be on call for farm needs.
- Contributing to marketing and outreach efforts through social media, print material, newsletter, and blog.
- Integrating Jewish wisdom, teachings, and values to Farm internal meetings and external programs as broadly as possible.
- Other duties may also be assigned by supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Experiences
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- At least 2-3 years of experience within the fields of Jewish agricultural and/or environmental education.
- Understanding of agricultural, Jewish and/or Jewish agricultural concepts that may be relevant to the content of the Jewish Community Farm.
- Hands-on experience with gardening and/or farming.
- Experience developing and delivering curriculum based on Common Core, New Generation Science Standards (NGSS), and Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA).
- Knowledge of Jewish traditions, texts, narrative and rituals.
- Entrepreneurial, adaptable, and creative.
- Ability to build and nurture relationships with a wide variety of people, including colleagues, the general public, youth, seniors, funders, etc.
- Flexible, able to work simultaneously on wide range of projects and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Exceptional listening and communication skills with sensitivity to cultural communication differences.
- Cooperative, service-oriented attitude.
- Team player and leader.
- Works well under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to work with urgency and meet or beat deadlines.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office and Web-based computing.
- Ability to lift at least 25lbs.
- A relevant college degree preferred (i.e. Environmental Studies, Agro-ecology, Jewish Studies, etc.).
- Teaching credentials strongly preferred.
- Experience and background in Jewish service learning.
- Experience with creative and arts-based Jewish programming (ex: singing, movement, etc.).
Reports directly to the Education Manager.
Salary commensurate with experience. Coastal Roots Farm offers a competitive benefits package.
Typical Working Conditions
The Education Manager will work outdoors and occasionally in the office. There will be exposure to Southern California outside temperatures, chemicals used in the agricultural industry, and loud noises.
Essential Physical Tasks
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Continual walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting and carrying.
Coastal Roots Farm is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.