About LEEP Academy
LEEP Dual Language Academy Charter School is a new and growing elementary school in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. We use the research-based 90:10 model of Spanish language immersion that helps all students achieve in all subjects while also becoming bilingual and bi-literate. In the 2021-22 school year, we will grow to serve students in grades K-3, using instructional techniques from high-performing charter schools and the best dual language programs in the nation.
Our school community is linguistically, racially, and socioeconomically diverse, and we are committed to being a good neighbor in Sunset Park for decades to come. We are located at 54th Street and 5th Avenue, in a private building with a long-term lease.
Seeking Social Worker:
We’re looking for a Social Worker who is bilingual in English and Spanish. This is a full-time, year round position. Does this describe you?
- You have native-level fluency in Spanish and English. That means that, in both languages, you can read and write professional documents such as lesson plans; carry on academic conversations with parents and colleagues; and teach academic concepts with native-speaking students.
- You have at least two years of experience as a social worker, preferably in a school environment.
- You have a Master’s degree and are a licensed social worker (LMSW or LCSW).
- You have knowledge and experience implementing Social Emotional Learning Curriculum practices
- You like the idea of working in Spanish most of the school day, even if you’ve never done it before.
- You’ve worked in a high-performing environment where everyone works as a team and receives frequent feedback to improve their practice, or are interested in that kind of environment to learn and grow as a professional.
- You want to join a school community that is safe and orderly while treating every student and family with dignity. You think all children deserve a strong foundation in math and literacy, without overlooking science, the arts, and social-emotional development.
- You work really hard. You stay organized. You hate to be unprepared. You hold a high bar of excellence for yourself and others.
- You are comfortable with in-person work at a school (with COVID safety precautions, including temperature checks, masks, desk shields, and daily disinfection).
Social Worker Responsibilities:
- Assess student social, emotional, and behavioral skills, both formally and informally, to identify student strengths and needs.
- Plan positive behavioral interventions. This includes: SST support, RTI goals, IEP goals, Functional Behavioral Assessments, and Behavior Intervention Plans.
- Assist the Principal, school counselor and Dean of Students to analyze, plan, and implement school-wide prevention programs and social-emotional curriculum.
- Conducting staff development sessions on relevant topics as needed
- Work with school-based teams to collect and analyze data related to student outcomes; maintain records to document the progress of services using school data system
- Identify strategies to support a parent when a student’s living situation (home, school, community) negatively impacts the student’s attendance and adjustment to school.
- Assisting in the proper referrals of students to agencies and specialists in the community as appropriate
- Connect parents with community-based services and social services i.e. Medicaid, SSI, services related to homelessness, domestic violence, and immigration.
- Consult with classroom teams to support student adjustment and participation in school.
- Collaborate with classroom teams and school staff to build positive classroom and school community.
- Provide in-service education to school personnel on a variety of topics including: identifying child abuse/neglect, social, emotional, and behavioral development, behavioral intervention strategies, the impact of poverty on young children, etc.
- Provide crisis intervention for students and families as well as debriefing for school staff.
- Consult and collaborate with community agencies and other mental health professionals to provide resources to students and families.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the district, state, and federal policies including due process guidelines and child abuse/neglect reporting.
- Maintains high standards of ethical behavior, uphold the ethical standards of the social work profession and confidentiality of student information.
- Responding to crisis situations and coordinate with community service providers as needed
- Completing all required documentation as required by law or prescribed by the Director of Special Education which may include IEP/504 documents, session notes and formal recommendations, or structured observations
This is many of the responsibilities a school social worker will have, but it is not a complete list. There may be additional responsibilities assigned.
At LEEP Academy, we plan lessons in detail, but not from scratch; we work together from a common set of high-quality curricula in English and Spanish. We collect and analyze formative and summative data. We differentiate instruction and work with families and service providers to meet each child’s needs. We communicate and collaborate. We model our school’s Core Virtues: Cariño, Respeto, Valentía, Gratitud, y Alegría.
The social worker will work in the range of 50-55 hours per week. Our core work hours are from 7:15am to 4:30pm daily, including a lunch break and prep period. (Students are dismissed at 3:15, except for Wednesdays when they leave at 1:30pm to allow for professional development.)
LEEP Dual Language Academy Charter School is committed to a policy of equal treatment for all individuals applying for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national background, religion/belief, marital status, caregiver status, veteran status, disability, age, political party, or salary history.