745 Atlantic Avenue
About Generation Citizen:
Generation Citizen is a quickly scaling national non-profit that works to ensure that every student in the United States receives an effective Action Civics education, providing them with the knowledge and skills necessary to participate in our democracy as active citizens. We envision a country of young people working to collectively strengthen our American democracy.
We partner with schools across six regions in the country to implement an action civics program that teaches students how to address community issues through local government. Students learn about democratic structures and processes by engaging with them, as well as with their classmates, to achieve a common goal personal to them. As a pioneer in the field, we also advocate for action civics education on a national scale.
Today, Generation Citizen reaches 13,000 middle and high school students a year. We are led by co-founder and CEO, Scott Warren, who is a recipient of a Draper Richards Kaplan Fellowship, an Echoing Green Fellowship, and was named one of Forbes’ Top 30 Social Entrepreneurs under 30.
In this current political climate, Generation Citizen has received a surge in demand for its services and is poised for rapid growth. In response, Generation Citizen developed and is executing against a three-year strategic growth plan. The plan forecasts the organization to grow its annual budget from $3 million to $8 million over the course of the next three years. This growth will result in reaching more than 30,000 students annually.
Generation Citizen is seeking a Development Manager to join its development team. This position will lead Institutional Giving for the organization and provide direct capacity to the Massachusetts portfolio. Responsibilities will include managing institutional fundraising strategy, grant writing, research, and administration, and provide the infrastructure necessary to grow the funding to support ambitious revenue goals. The position reports to the Director of Development. This is a full-time position starting as soon as possible.
● Provide direct development capacity to Executive Director in Massachusetts and lead on major national grant opportunities
● Help drive and inform the strategy for institutional giving for the organization in collaboration with the Development team and CEO
● Identify and research funding prospects, concentrating on private and corporate foundations, and government; create, organize, and maintain the prospect list
● Help cultivate relationships with institutional funders
● Draft grant applications and reports for foundation, corporate, and government grants
● Work with program staff to submit grant and contract reports and other funding requirements
● Maintain a detailed calendar of grant applications and cultivation deadlines
● Engage staff and board in contributing to prospect identification, cultivation, and proposal development
● Support implementation of cultivation events for funders and donors, such as receptions, briefings, and benefit parties.
● Perform other development-related tasks as needed.
● B.A or B.S. degree
● At least 4 years of development experience showing progression of responsibility and success with a specific successful track record with grant writing
● Excellent written/oral communication and relationship-building skills
● Strong time management skills and efficient in organizing and managing diverse tasks, activities, and projects
● Experience working with Salesforce strongly preferred
● Proven background learning new technologies
● Solutions-oriented; eager for ongoing learning and self-improvement in the role
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter to Jobs@GenerationCitizen.org with your name and the position for which you are applying in the subject line of the email. Applicants should be prepared to share a relevant writing sample and will be asked to complete a task as part of the interview process. No telephone inquiries please. Generation Citizen is an equal opportunity employer.