Details: Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience.
641 S Street Northwest
District of Columbia
ROLE OVERVIEW & RESPONSIBILITIES
We are Democrats leading a political reform organization that cultivates and supports leaders in our party who champion America’s public school children. We aim to increase both the quantity and quality of elected Democrats who will fight to advance educational equity.
DFER is seeking a state director to lead its DC chapter and be responsible for advancing the DFER mission in the District of Columbia. This will require:
· Developing and implementing a political strategy and policy agenda
· Designing and executing successful non-profit and PAC fundraising campaigns
· Building a diverse network of local allies and partners, and
· Executing on a comprehensive communications plan.
The Director will have access to political, policy, communications, development, and back-office support from the organization’s national office.
ABOUT DFER and DFER DC
Democrats for Education Reform was founded in 2007 by a group of activists and social entrepreneurs to address the persistent and growing achievement gap in America’s public schools, as well as the social, cultural, and economic crises that education inequality perpetuates. The DC chapter launched in 2015 with the goal of supporting Democrats in the District who promote excellence and equity in public education.
DFER DC aims to create a political environment in DC that prioritizes our children, families, and schools. Specifically:
· We support the City Council, Mayor’s office, DC Public Schools, Public Charter School Board, and State Board of Education to advance policies and practices that open the doors to equity and break down any barriers to a great public school in every neighborhood.
· We support elected officials and candidates who share our vision to prioritize educational equity and excellence above all other considerations in the District of Columbia.
· We build a network of civic leaders who share our ambition for who we know our children are and can be, what we know our children can learn and contribute, and where we know our children can go.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and skills:
· Leadership experience: leadership and management experience within the non-profit education and/or political campaign/advocacy sectors; record of achieving ambitious results in these roles
· Fundraising: ability to raise funds in a non-profit and/or political context (and ideally experience in one or the other or both)
· Knowledge of DC local political systems and leaders
· Strategic thinking: able to map the local political and education landscapes and determine the key levers for change and progress
· Communication skills: extremely compelling communicator, in writing and in person; able to persuade and influence individuals and groups
· Coalition partnership: ability to both participate in and lead coalitions of organizations to realize shared advocacy objectives
· Goal-driven and persistent: strong track record of setting and achieving big goals despite challenges; operates with a relentless determination to achieve goals
· Mission fit: Commitment to policy reforms that will improve educational opportunities for all students, particularly students of color and low-income students
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Democrats for Education Reform seeks individuals from all backgrounds to apply for this position. DFER continuously ensures that an equity lens and a specific focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion is present in each aspect of our work and embedded into our organizational fabric.
DFER is proud to offer excellent benefits: health and dental coverage; life insurance; short- and long-term disability; 401K with a match plan; flexible spending/benefits plan; holidays and vacation.
Minimum Education Required