Details: Commensurate with experience
8201 Corporate Drive
The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) is a leading not-for-profit organization for people with asthma and allergies, and the oldest asthma and allergy patient group in the world. We’re dedicated to improving the quality of life for people with asthma and allergic diseases through education, advocacy and research. Our office is located in Landover, MD.
The Director of Donor Relations will lead and execute the organization’s individual giving initiatives.
The Director of Donor Relations is responsible for donor stewardship and building relationships with donors through various communication mechanisms. The Director of Donor Relations will develop and executive an annual fundraising plan to retain and grow new donors from targeted donor groups that include, but are not limited to: major donors, general donors, workplace donors, donors giving in honor or memory of others, planned giving and small fundraisers and events.
A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected in this role. Incumbent will rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. The ideal candidate will have the ability to create new systems and procedures and to learn new processes quickly; be very comfortable in using fundraising software and data to inform decision-making. The individual in this role must be an excellent, donor-centered communicator both in writing and verbally; have a high level of initiative and resourcefulness; and a high level of comfort with change.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Excellent attention to detail, accuracy and thoroughness
· Ability to establish relationships and promote the benefits of KFA and AAFA
· Ability to exhibit a positive and professional persona to those with whom the individual interacts locally as well as online
· Computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office suite of products
· Ability to learn web-based applications for work collaboration activities
· Ability to leverage the capabilities of the constituent relationship management (CRM) database to maximize the effectiveness of the development program and to improve targeting of donor communications
· Ability to leverage social media to expand reach and success of fundraising communications
· Strong leadership skills with ability to lead other staff and Board to support fundraising and marketing efforts.
· Strong event planning skills.
· Excellent customer service focus and professionalism
· Ability to work in a team oriented environment and maintain a positive work attitude
· Ability to think strategically with a thorough understanding of strategic development
· Excellent dependability and reliability
· Ability to independently prioritize and execute projects and responsibilities
· Ability to design and field quantitative market research studies.
· Ability to analyze market research data and CRM data, report trends and advise management on best use of findings
· Energetic and enthusiastic
· Organized and detail oriented
· High degree of personal integrity
· Develops and executes AAFA’s annual fundraising plan
· Sets fundraising targets for each year in collaboration with the chief operating officer
· Creates an annual communications calendar to target existing donors and prospects
· Manages all aspects of the donor relationship with AAFA, including the development and implementation of plans for regular phone, in-person, or electronic communications
· Develops and maintains ongoing relationships with major donors and fundraisers
· Creates all fundraising appeals and plan for multichannel communications and coordinates with other departments regarding the scheduling of donor communications and appeals
· Manages the donor newsletter project for three publications each year
· Reviews key communications to make sure the language is donor-centered
· Manages data in the customer relationship management (CRM) donor database, and oversees staff for data entry and gift acknowledgement processing. Creates criteria, runs reports, cleans data, prepares specifications for queries and lists for direct response appeals. Implements segmentation
· Creates and executes strategy to increase the number and average donation amount from individual donors and fundraisers
· Creates and executives a strategy for donor recognition
· Creates and executes a strategy for donor research and utilizing the existing CRM data to mine for donor prospects for annual gifts, major gifts, planned gifts and special gifts
· Conducts quantitative market research with the goal of better understanding KFA’s constituents and donors.
· Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Standard benefit package
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish language skills would be desirable, but not required.
Minimum Education Required