Full Time Temporary
Job Title: Youth Education Program Coordinator
Status: Temporary full time position through December 2018
Reports to:Youth Education Program Manager
Location: Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands & Good Shepherd Center
Tilth Alliance believes everyone deserves to eat well, every day. For 40-years we’ve created a better food culture in Washington by teaching people to grow, prepare and eat food with a clear understanding of the interconnectedness of food, health, community and the earth’s sustainability. Using fields, farms and kitchens as classrooms to teach much more than agriculture, we transform lives and the communities we serve. Our youth education programs invite young people of diverse backgrounds to explore their local food system through hands-on and experiential learning activities in the garden, farm and wetlands.
The Youth Education Program Coordinator is responsible for coordinating and teaching various Youth Education programs including: Summer Camp Farm Tours, Family Days, Farm to Table, Garden Educator Workshops, and NSF funded research into field based science education. The Youth Education Program Coordinator will also be responsible for supporting the maintenance of outdoor learning spaces at the RBUFW to ensure a high-quality educational experience for all youth participants, visitors and community partners.
- Coordinate and lead Summer Camp programs for school age kids, parents and toddlers at the Good Shepherd Center and Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands
- Coordinate and lead Farm to Table classes at childcare centers around the city of Seattle that engage young people and their caregivers in growing, cooking and eating fresh food
- Work with local schools and childcare centers to offer Farm Tours, Field Studies and Service Learning activities at RBUFW
- Provide opportunities for family engagement at RBUFW through Family Days and other community events and camp programs
- Support ongoing NSF funded research into field based science education which includes regular meetings, data collection, and school based work
- Support additional Youth Education programs including Garden Educator Workshops as needed
- In conjunction with other Tilth Alliance staff, coordinate and assist in ensuring successful implementation of design and maintenance plans for the Learning Farm at RBUFW
- Oversee the maintenance of the youth education storage space, and education materials at RBUFW
- Train and lead interns and volunteers
- Maintain detailed records of program metrics
- Coordinate and provide education for contracts, grants, and schools as assigned.
- Develop curriculum for garden and farm activities, for ages Pre K – high school, or as assigned.
- Engage a diverse range of community members through relevant experiential activities and programs.
- Attend staff meetings, contribute to board reports and other tracking, support events and other duties related to being a member of the Tilth Alliance staff.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Ability to lead outdoor educational programs for children ages 3-18 years old
- Proven ability to develop and implement curriculum
- Experience working with schools grades 6-12, teachers, and students
- Demonstrated ability and success working with people from a variety of racial, cultural and economic backgrounds, with various lifestyles and sexual orientations
- Knowledge of and commitment to sustainable agricultural practices and environmental justice
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Ability to problem solve and work in dynamic settings
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Self-directed and able to work independently as well as with a team
- Experience training, coordinating, and supervising volunteers
- Able to work evenings and weekends on occasion, or as needed
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Able to transport self and materials to education and outreach locations
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- BA or BS in a related field, or comparable experience in a related field
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated understanding of Positive Youth Development theories, approaches and techniques
- Understanding of local food movement
- Experience and familiarity building partnerships and working within the SE Seattle community
- Ability to teach and write in Spanish, Vietnamese, Amharic, Somali or other languages a plus
This is a temporary 40 hour full time position through December 31, 2018. In fall of 2018 we will evaluate the potential for this position to become a permanent, non-exempt position. This position is eligible for paid sick time. This position will be based at multiple locations around the city including the Good Shepherd Center and the Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands. Compensation range is DOE.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a letter of interest and resume as one document in PDF or Word format outlining 1) your experience with the requirements listed above and 2) why you are interested in this position. Email all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Youth Education Coordinator.” Applications will be reviewed as received and interviews will begin immediately. Position is open until filled.