Code2040 is a community of Black and Latinx technologists and their allies who are diversifying tech to create a more equitable, inclusive, and prosperous economy. Through high-impact direct service programs, robust in-person and online community engagement, and dynamic storytelling and knowledge sharing, Code2040 empowers and mobilizes diversity champions across the industry. Our goal is to ensure that by 2040---the beginning of the decade when the US will be majority people of color---Black and Latinx people are fully represented in and leading the innovation economy, and have the economic and social capital needed to thrive and build generational wealth.
About the Opportunity
The imperative of Marketing and Communications team at Code2040 is transform how we talk about and pursue racial equity in the innovation economy, equip changemakers to take action, and ensure teams across the organization have the assets they need to execute their work. We’re looking for an enthusiastic Communications and Design Assistant to keep the Marcomm team running, manage our social media presence, email, and editorial processes, and own the creation of brand-aligned collateral and visuals. We’re looking for someone with strong project management skills who thrives in fast-paced, collaborative environments.
This is a full-time position in our San Francisco office, reporting to the Marketing and Communications Manager.
- Content and communications execution and management: Working closely with the Director, you’ll manage the editorial calendar, data tracking, and workflow for our publications, execute our social and email strategies, as well as create and manage an integrated marketing and communications calendar and processes.
- Marcomm operations: You’ll keep our email lists clean while developing guidelines for team usage of our email management system. You’ll manage the internal marcomm resource center ensuring data, photographs, collateral, and other key resources are up to date and easy to find. You’ll be our go-to person for documentation of processes that ensure the team and the organization can execute efficiently.
- Story gathering and management: Conduct, transcribe, and keep track of interviews, manage quotes, anecdotes, and opportunities so they are easy to find and use in variety of formats. Support staff in identifying and sharing stories to ensure we have a robust, compelling, and accurate database.
- Collateral creation, branding, and updates: From website updates, flyers, and one pagers, to decks, swag, and article graphics, you’ll own the design, copywriting, project management, updates, and organization of all assets, ensuring both brand alignment and audience action.
What You Bring
- Excellent communication skills: Whether writing or speaking, you’re able to express ideas clearly and powerfully, always taking into consideration brand voice and intended audience.
- At least two years of experience in marketing, communications, and design, including work with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop and Mailchimp: With a portfolio of projects you’ve worked on that show results.
- Strong project management experience: As part of a cross-functional team with high output, you’re able manage multiple deadlines and projects, while keeping all stakeholders informed.
You Will Thrive in This Role If
- You are passionate about racial and economic justice: Our focus is the success of Black and Latinx people and commitment to these communities is a must. You can speak concretely and passionately about why you want to do this work.
- You’re always “on”: You pay attention to the latest trends in design and marketing; you love reading and experimenting. You use these insights to drive your ideas and creativity.
- You are a team and community player: You recognize and value the need to work cross-functionally, internally and externally, and are always looking for ways to “connect the dots” and bring new people into our work.
- You possess good judgement: You’re able to set goals and priorities with an understanding of tradeoffs.
- You approach work with strong sense of ownership: As a startup, we’re building the plane as we fly it which means you need to take initiative, have comfort with ambiguity, are open to learning and growing, and execute when things are less than perfect.
What To Expect From the Role
- You will develop an expertise and thought leadership in diversity and inclusion work.
- You will learn to navigate the intricacies and nuances of a fast-growth start-up.
The Tangibles and Intangibles
- You will build a portfolio of robust and dynamic content in the tech and diversity space.
- You will be a key member of a growing team of passionate people who are results-oriented, respect and value diverse ideas and truths, and who balance hard work with humor and connection.
- You will gain access to a robust, exciting network of people across the innovation economy.
- You will work in San Francisco, a vibrant city full of diverse history, culture, and nearby recreation.
Submitting your application
Your application should consist of your resume, a design portfolio, a writing sample, and cover letter (if your writing samples are links, include them in your cover letter. If not, you can upload them below). A few tips for writing your cover letter: Don’t just repeat your resume; we’ll read that too. Your cover letter is your chance to shine and connect your past experience with what we’re looking for. Tell us:
- The unique mix of skills and experience you will bring to the role and our team.
- How you will thrive in the role; what have you done in past that demonstrates you can be successful?
- What about Code2040’s mission excites you? Why do you want to work with a passionate team committed to disrupting the innovation economy?
Minimum Education Required