Details: $24 per hour; Commensurate w/experience
108-25 62nd Drive
Borough of Queens
STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $24 per hour; Commensurate w/experience.
SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday 10:30 am-4:30 pm; with additional prep, meeting.
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs and services for Children and Youth, Adults and Families, and Older Adults. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities. We are a modern interpretation of the traditional settlement house, bringing to our work current best practices, cost-effective management, innovative leadership, and a passion for social and economic justice.
We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives. Our Children and Youth division for ages 5 to 21 allow participants to explore interests and passions, develop positive social connections, contribute to their community, become life-long learners, and gain meaningful experiences. We are seeking a qualified Education Specialist with a strong commitment to youth development for our summer camp program at JHS 157. The Education Specialist will serve as a model for middle school youth by providing an engaging and fun experience, while conducting activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, practice and implementation.
- Understand, adhere, and enforce after-school/summer camp program expectations, policies, and protocols as laid out by Program Director.
- Create, design, and/or implement age-appropriate curricula for participants. Collect and review all lesson plans to ensure proper alignment with Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) and Department of Education (DOE) standards.
- Align lesson plans with NYS Common Core standards.
- Observe staff facilitating lessons, train and coach staff as necessary.
- Assist with day-to-day administration and operation of afterschool and summer programs.
- Assist with program development and daily supervision of staff and participants.
- Communicate with school administration and staff as needed.
- Communicate program information to parents and participants.
- Assist with ensuring compliance with funding and regulatory agencies.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, social work, sociology, psychology or related field required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience working with middle school youth in a teaching, group work, or session facility capacity.
- Minimum one (1) year of supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of NYS Common Core Standards; experience in curriculum development and implementation in secondary education.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking, time management and communication skills required.
- Exceptional coaching and problem solving skills that will support, develop, and evaluate staff.
- Knowledge of youth development principles such as: Social Emotional Learning (SEL) a plus.
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based and/or youth development perspective.
- Background in sports and ability to creatively align sports themes to STEM, literacy, and leadership activities a plus.
- Must be cleared and maintain clearance throughout duration of employment by NYS DOH and DOE fingerprinting screening, NYS Central Registrar Background Check, 3 Reference checks, Staff Exclusion List (SEL), and must provide a physical examination with updated TB test.
- CPR Pro and RTE certified a plus.
Additional Details: For FT Positions
This position begins immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of the youth in the community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume (including three professional references) and a sample lesson plan that align sports to either STEM or literacy, with subject line “Education Specialist” to Robert Borja-Director, Queens Community House @ JHS 157 at Rborja@qchnyc.org. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER v DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Minimum Education Required