Details: Based on qualifications and experience.
530 South Boyle Avenue
ABOUT US: InnerCity Struggle (ICS) is a social justice, community-building and membership driven organization based in the Eastside of Los Angeles. ICS works with youth and families to promote safe, healthy and non-violent communities. We organize youth and families in Boyle Heights, unincorporated East Los Angeles, El Sereno and Lincoln Heights to work together to advance social and educational justice.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The FaU Parent Organizer would be responsible for effectively organizing Eastside residents and parents to take action on issues of Educational Justice, which requires advanced organizing skills to facilitate Educational Justice related campaigns. We are looking for someone with previous experience in engaging parents, developing popular education curriculum for parents, facilitating and coordinating adult leadership trainings and a track record of effective base-building.
Key responsibilities include:
● Coordinate parent-led campaigns specific to educational justice at the local and regional level
● Develop and implement effective outreach strategies to recruit parents and residents (i.e. school site outreach, phone-banking, tabling etc.)
● Develop parent friendly curriculum on political education topics and leadership development skills
● Develop and maintain relationships with school staff, faculty, and other key allies
● Work with other InnerCity Struggle staff to coordinate campaign related activities (i.e Campaign Action Teams)
● Responsible for the development and training of parent leaders that will recruit, engage, and sustain the involvement of an active base of parent members in campaigns
● Travel for InnerCity Struggle related activities (retreats, conferences, trainings, networking)
● Engage in civic engagement activities including, but not limited to, canvassing in the Eastside of Los Angeles
● Other duties as identified by the Familias Unidas Coordinator
ICS is seeking a person who meets the following qualifications:
● CA driver’s license and access to a reliable automobile (with at minimum, liability insurance)
● College Graduate who holds, at minimum, a Bachelor of Arts Degree – or related experience
● Minimum 2 years experience in parent organizing or community organizing in low-income communities of color
● Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment
● Ability to work weekends and evenings as needed or required by the Familias Unidas Coordinator
● Track record of accomplishing goals and objectives individually and in a team environment
● Experience in developing program and communication materials
● Effective and concise writing and communication skills
● Ability to work effectively with school and district leaders, and community allies
● Experience in grassroots fundraising
● Ability to work in a team setting and provide/receive constructive feedback
● Minimum 2 year commitment preferred
Full medical benefits included.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in Spanish
speak, reading and writing
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email Cover Letter and Resume to: Laura Zavala
Director of Policy and Research
Please include “Familias Unidas Parent Organizer Position” in the subject line of your email. Cover Letter must address why you are interested in the position and what strengths you would bring to the organization.
No phone calls or site visits please.