SEED Extended Learning Program Teacher
- Job posted by Sowing Empowerment & Economic Development, Inc.
Sowing Empowerment & Economic Development, Inc. (SEED) provides food, clothing, education and training while promoting self-sufficiency and empowerment directly to low- to moderate-income families and communities. Through academic achievement, housing & economic development and community services, SEED will create environments where all individuals are empowered, all children are nurtured, families are strengthened, and communities are transformed.
SEED serves nearly 12,000 Prince George’s County residents annually as a HUD approved housing counseling agency, through the operation of a K-8 Public Charter School, extended day and summer enrichment programs, as well as an emergency food distribution center and clothes closet; housing counseling and financial capability training. SEED also conducts regular outreach initiatives and workshops.
SEED operates a well rounded after school program that will serve Kindergarten to 8th grade students from EXCEL Academy Public Charter School. The program’s focus will be homework help, grade appropriate math support, reading comprehension and vocabulary building. Students will receive a snack and be involved in recreational activities. Parent workshops will be held periodically focusing on family education support, financial literacy and other appropriate topics.
Counselors are responsible for the front-line care and nurturing of the children. Using the assigned curriculum and related activities, they serve as facilitators in the classroom and as leaders of parent workshops and community outreach activities. He or she should be familiar with the culture and dynamics of the community, committed to the goals of SEED, EXCEL Academy Public Charter School and Prince George’s County Public Schools.
• Deliver the curriculum to a class of no more than 15 students during the school year according to the standards developed by SEED and Maryland State Department of Education.
• Set-up and breakdown of his/her classroom space, including securing and organizing the appropriate materials.
• Collaborate with staff to establish and maintain a supportive and structured environment for the children entrusted to their care.
• Serve as a classroom leader each day of program operation.
• Serve as a leader of afternoon activities and other special events; chaperone field trips, etc
• Work Hours: 2:00-6:00pm
• 45 hour Child Care Certification and 45 hour School-Age Curriculum Development Required (total 90 hours-no exceptions)
• Two (2) years experience working with students in an educational setting. (child development center, after school program, summer camp, etc)
• Solid commitment to children’s advocacy and enthusiasm of the SEED Extended Day program
• Ability to motivate others and work as part of an intergenerational team
• Strong appreciation and understanding of individual cultural history and the willingness to be open and respectful of all cultures
• Willingness to strive for excellence in all areas
• Ability to think critically and analytically
• Exhibit positive attitude; model a mature and professional demeanor
• Excellent written and verbal skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and commitment to the character, humility and servant leadership.
• Authorization for background check for criminal and child protective findings
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send resume & salary requirements to email@example.com. No phone calls.