• The Construction Manager (CM) is responsible for overseeing activities at one or more Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley (HEBSV) construction sites. The CM will manage both contract and staff site superintendents (SS) and support their management of site staff, contractors, and volunteers.
• The CM will support the Construction Director (CD) with annual project budgets, project schedules, monthly cash flow projections, weekly updates of project progress, materials procurement, subcontractor management, and long-range planning.
Essential Functions of Position:
• Responsible for the overall site management of assigned construction projects, with the goal of bringing in projects on time, under budget, and in line with HEBSV’s high level of quality and home performance.
• Manage the work processes of each construction site - i.e. help site superintendents with technical and personal questions; ensure flow of tools, materials, and volunteers; provide quality control support.
• With SS and CD, prepare and maintain work schedules for construction sites. Several sites may be under construction simultaneously.
• Maintain Greenpoint-Rated and other performance checklists and ensure proper inspections and documentation
• Write and process all Requests for Information (RFI) to architects, engineers, and other designers during the construction phase of each project
• Lead weekly superintendent meeting for each site
• With SS and CD, determine which trades will be subcontracted for each project
• Prepare scopes of work for all subcontractors
• Manage bid process for all subcontracts on project
• With Finance department, ensure subcontractor compliance with prevailing wage and other labor regulations as needed
• With SS, negotiate and approve change orders.
• The CM shall be responsible for all material procurement for his/her projects, including but not limited to:
o Work with superintendents to establish accurate takeoff lists
o Solicit and qualify bids for materials as deemed appropriate.
o Issue purchase order requests for large orders as necessary
o Process Purchase Orders and track deliveries as necessary
Evaluate, Measure, Report
• Update Committed Cost Report for his/her projects to show anticipated costs.
• The CM and CD shall jointly prepare project schedules and budgets.
• Draft monthly cash flow projections for project expenditures.
• Provide weekly progress reports to the CD that highlight issues and matters that require immediate and long-term attention. Reports will note completion timelines and milestone dates of achievement.
• Together with the CD, provide leadership in project planning for current projects and actively participate in planning future projects.
• Review and assess preliminary project plans for cost and feasibility and provide value engineering options
• Assist the CD in planning the strategic goals and objectives of the organization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Commitment to the HEBSV mission to build low-cost housing.
• Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management or Architecture or equivalent desired
• Experience and ability in managing multiple projects.
• Skilled at supervising Site Superintendents.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word required
• Proficiency with Microsoft Project highly desired
• Familiarity with Timberline/Sage or other construction software useful
• Minimum of six years of residential building experience.
• One or more years as a construction lead person, superintendent or assistant superintendent.
• Ability to read and interpret blueprints.
• Familiarity with the Uniform Building Code.
• Ability to devise and teach - with patience - simple construction methods.
• Have a temperament that is suitable for the environment of a volunteer-driven, non-profit organization and the ability to create a work environment that is positive, productive and inclusive.
• Knowledge of sustainable/high-performance building practices
Responsibility and Decision-Making Authority:
• Manage site superintendents, and supervise their management of site staff including HEBSV employees, interns (e.g. AmeriCorps), contractors and volunteers in the performance of their duties and responsibilities.
• Performs annual performance evaluations of site staff and other evaluations of site staff as needed.
• Help prepare and manage on-site events, i.e. groundbreakings, dedications, and blitz-builds/.
Working Environment/Minimum Physical Requirements:
• This position requires travel between offices and to various construction sites and involves both indoor as well as outdoor supervision/management.
• Occasional hands-on training requiring site-work and some heavy lifting and/or climbing.
Note: This document describes typical duties and responsibilities and is not intended to limit management from assigning other work as needed.
Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley brings people together to build homes, communities and hope. We revitalize neighborhoods, build affordable and sustainable housing solutions, and empower families through successful homeownership. Since 1986, we have partnered with volunteers, the community, and qualified families with limited incomes to strengthen communities in Alameda, Contra Costa, and Santa Clara Counties.
Competitive pay, full benefits
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates must submit both a resume and cover letter.