Details: Depending on experience and qualifications
200 Pine Ave., Suite 610
Californians for Justice is a statewide grassroots organization working for racial justice by building the power of youth, communities of color, immigrants, low-income families, and LGBQ and T/GNC communities. Led by students, we organize to advance educational justice and improve our social, economic, and political conditions.
CFJ is a unique and exciting organization. We are the only grassroots organization in California that organizes youth to have a voice in both local and statewide education policy. We work to ensure the voices of students are heard, valued, and reflected in decisions that affect them. Our current Relationship Centered Schools campaign aims to make sure every student has a caring adult at school by building schools that value student voice, invest in staff, and create spaces for relationship building. Our recent victories include a statewide budget win of $28 million dollars for school climate and community engagement in public schools, a requirement for school districts to include student input in school budgeting, and the passage of the historic Local Control Funding Formula. CFJ currently has four regional offices in Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland and San Jose, 25 full-time equivalent staff and a budget of $2.5 million.
The Organizer will lead and coordinate CFJ’s grassroots organizing work in Long Beach through base building, leadership development and other activities with high school students. The Organizer will also participate in CFJ’s local and statewide education organizing and campaign work through action research, coordinating campaign events, delegations, alliance work, and electoral organizing.
The Organizer is part of a four-person team: an Organizing Director, Lead Organizer, and two Organizers. The Organizer reports to the Lead Organizer in Long Beach and also works closely with the other CFJ regional organizers. The position is full‐time and non-exempt.
- Conduct regular base building activities with high school students including but not limited to: school outreach, classroom presentations, phone banking, establishment of school-based chapter(s) and maintaining a healthy base of students at chapter(s).
- Lead Long Beach’s leadership development work through weekly student leader meetings, skills building sessions, coordination of regular one-on-one check-ins, and political education.
- Lead Long Beach’s leadership development tracking and oversee our membership numbers and each member’s individual leadership development goals.
- Supervise high school interns and build their leadership skills.
- Support our local and statewide education organizing and campaign work through action research, coordinating campaign events, delegations, and electoral organizing.
- Participate in ally events and meetings to build and maintain CFJ’s visibility and community solidarity.
- Organization-wide responsibilities
- Participate in all grassroots fundraising campaigns and maintain a portfolio of individual and organizational prospects for solicitation.
- Participate in cross-department committees and teams.
- Provide support and participation for organization-wide and regional campaigns and events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- One or more years of experience leading youth organizing efforts and/or educational advocacy.
- Strong commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment.
- Strong interpersonal and team‐building skills, particularly with high school students.
- Ability to energize, inspire, and move young people to action.
- Excellent problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and follow‐through.
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple tasks and projects.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office a variety of applications.
- California driver’s license, insurance, and regular access to a 4‐5 seat passenger car.
- Available to work flexible hours, including afternoons and occasional evening and weekend events.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: action research, campaign strategy, curriculum development, alliance building, media outreach, grassroots fundraising, and educational policy.
- Fluency in a second language.
- Proficiency with Apple computers and Google Suite.
The position will be located in CFJ’s Long Beach Office. Our office is located on the 6th floor, which is accessible by elevator. Our offices are shared among several employees.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time. Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly in English on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
CFJ provides a generous benefits package; we pay 100% of monthly premiums for medical, vision, and dental coverage for staff working at least 20 hours a week and their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “LB Organizer – Your Name.”
CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, people who identify as lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/gender non-conforming, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.