FOUNDING 8TH GRADE ACADEMY MATH TEACHER - 2018-2019 (BROOKE 8TH GRADE ACADEMY)
- Job posted by Brooke Charter Schools
Background on Brooke
Founded in 2002, Brooke Charter Schools is a network of college preparatory public schools with five campuses in Boston. Brooke currently serves 1,730 students in grades K-10 and will grow to serve 2,200 students in grades K-12 by 2022.
Named after the late Senator Edward W. Brooke, the first African-American popularly elected to the U.S. Senate, our strategy is to focus relentlessly on developing excellent teaching. Reflecting the diversity of the communities we serve in Boston and Chelsea, 56% of Brooke students self-identify as Black, 34% as Latino, 6% Caucasian, 2% Asian, and 2% Native American or multiracial. About three-quarters of Brooke students qualify for free or reduced-price lunch. Over the last several years, Brooke students have set a new bar for what is possible in urban public education, consistently outperforming their peers in Boston Public Schools, and producing academic achievement results among the highest in the state.
Introducing Brooke’s 8th Grade Academy
In August of 2018, Brooke will welcome its inaugural class to the 8th Grade Academy. Due to increased enrollment at our K-8 campuses, we are converting Brooke Roslindale, Brooke Mattapan, and Brooke East Boston to K-7 campuses and launching Brooke 8th Grade Academy which will be solely devoted to 8th graders. The Academy will also serve as a way to help prepare students to transition from their elementary campuses to high school.
The Role & Responsibilities
Brooke’s 8th Grade Academy is searching for a Math Teacher to instruct our 8th Grade Academy students in pre-algebra/algebra.
Teachers who thrive at Brooke are those committed to developing strong relationships with their students and challenging them daily to be their best selves, academically and personally. They tend to be passionate instructors and hungry learners who crave frequent, high-quality feedback on their practice. At Brooke, teachers are constantly going above and beyond to meet the diverse needs of their students and being the instructional and cultural leader of their warm and demanding classroom. Brooke is built for teachers who want to think deeply about instruction and collaborate daily with their grade-level peers and instructional leaders.
The 8th Grade Academy Math Teacher will hold primary responsibility for the development of curriculum, the instruction of content, and the growth and success of three classes of students. 8th Grade Academy teachers will teach two sections of students daily, and will have at least one co-planning partner. Teachers’ hours are 7:15-4:20 daily, with the student academic day running from 7:45 am to 4:00 pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, and 7:45 am to 12:30 pm on Wednesdays. In the summer of 2018, new teacher professional development will begin on July 18th, and the school year will begin in mid-August.
A successful 8th Grade Academy Math teacher will ensure that all students feel challenged and known.
- Teach two sections of math daily, each class has approximately 30 students
- Provide small group and one-on-one targeted tutoring and support to students for approximately 60 minutes per day
- Participate in regular interim data meetings with grade level team teachers and principal
- Engage in 20 administrative observations and 15 peer observations per year
- Actively participate in three (3) hours every week of targeted professional development
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues
- Provide consistent and high academic and behavioral expectations
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of two years of teaching experience (this does not include practicum, student teaching, tutoring, or substitute teaching experience)
- Commitment to ensuring academic success for all students
- Shared dedication to the Brooke’s mission and organizational values
- Good problem solving abilities and creativity
- Excellent teamwork, communication, and organization skills
The community and students we serve are diverse, and we are committed to reflecting that diversity in our staff. We strive to have the most diverse applicant pool possible; to that end, we encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for any position at Brooke Charter Schools. By fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, we provide the best educational experience to prepare our students for a future reflective of the world we live in.
Minimum Education Required