99 Gansevoort Street
Wednesday-Sunday schedule; Saturday evenings required
Must be available during the entire months of November and December
The Whitney is seeking a full-time, temporary Assistant Membership Manager to act as a daily sales lead and provide operations support for the onsite membership team. As part of the Membership Department, the onsite team provides a positive experience for members who visit the Museum, while also acting as the first point of phone and email contact for members. The Assistant Membership Manager will assist with the supervision of the onsite membership staff, serving as a first point of escalation for customer service issues that arise by phone, email, or in person in the Museum lobby.
Successful candidates have previous experience leading staff in a retail, sales, or other customer service environment. They are excellent communicators, have demonstrated experience with constituent database and POS software, and are solutions focused in a fast-paced environment.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Acts as the daily team lead in meeting sales goals and providing excellent customer service to members in the Museum lobby, as well as by phone and email in the membership information office
- Works closely with Membership Managers to ensure daily sales strategy is implemented and sales goals are met
- Coordinates training and staff scheduling with the onsite membership management team
- Works closely with the Visitor Experience and Membership teams to ensure smooth daily operations in the Museum lobby
- Troubleshoots operational issues involving constituent database and/or POS software
- Proactively resolves advanced customer service issues in a timely and effective manner
- Full-time schedule Wednesday-Sunday, with Saturday evening and holiday hours required
- 2 years experience leading staff in a retail, sales, or other customer service environment
- Minimum 3 years public-facing customer service experience
- Professional communication skills by phone, email, and in person
- Excellent cash handling and problem solving skills in public-facing scenarios
- Previous constituent database and POS experience required, previous Raiser’s Edge experience preferred
- Interest in art and non-profit management preferred
- BA preferred, but not required
About the Whitney
The Whitney Museum of American Art, founded in 1930 by the artist and philanthropist Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, houses the foremost collection of American art from the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. From her vision arose the Whitney Museum of American Art, which has been championing the most innovative art of the United States for 86 years. The core of the Whitney’s mission is to collect, preserve, interpret, and exhibit American art of our time and serve a wide variety of audiences in celebration of the complexity and diversity of art and culture in the United States. Through this mission and a steadfast commitment to artists themselves, the Whitney has long been a powerful force in support of modern and contemporary art and continues to help define what is innovative and influential in American art today.
The Whitney Museum of American Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Museum does not discriminate because of age, sex, religion, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, partnership status, veteran status, gender (including gender identity), sexual orientation, or any other factor prohibited by law. The Museum hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. The Museum encourages all qualified candidates to apply for vacant positions at all levels. This description shall not be construed as a contract of any sort for a specific period of employment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please complete an application located on the Museum’s website: https://whitney.org/About/JobPostings