Details: To be negotiated commensurate with skills and experience. Room and board will be provided for the seven weeks spent at Camp Shomria each summer.
215 Spadina Avenue
POSITION: DIRECTOR, HASHOMER HATZAIR AND CAMP SHOMRIA, CANADA
Hashomer Hatzair Canada is seeking a full time Director to join our team beginning in July 2018. This position is based in our Toronto office during the year and at our camp location in Perth, Ontario, for seven weeks each summer.
ABOUT HASHOMER HATZAIR CANADA AND CAMP SHOMRIA:
Hashomer Hatzair is a worldwide youth movement active in over 20 countries globally. Hashomer Hatzair has been at the forefront of youth-led experiential Jewish education and community building for over 100 years. Our focus is on equipping our youth with a strong Jewish cultural identity, a deep relationship and engagement with Israel that inspires them to build achvat amim (solidarity of nations), towards a just and lasting peace, and a strong community oriented toward social justice.
Located on Otty Lake, in Perth, Ontario, Camp Shomria is the Hashomer Hatzair immersive summer home away from home, where lifelong friendships are made. Days are spent swimming, canoeing, playing sports and games, doing arts and crafts, tending our gardens, making music and drama, and so much more.
Hashomer Hatzair Canada offers year-round programming for our youth participants and leaders as well as our wider community of alumni and parents. Year-round programming is based in Toronto.
• Providing consistent leadership and vision in accordance with Hashomer Hatzair Canada’s strategic plan.
• Management and leadership of your four-person professional staff team.
• Overseeing all summer camp operations, including staff management, site management and programming.
• Working with Hashomer Hatzair Canada’s youth leaders to deliver high-quality summer programming.
• Overseeing the creation of a recruitment and retention strategy including community partnerships, special events and strategic incentives.
• Building and managing the organization’s budget.
• Supporting the fundraising strategy and activities led by the Board of Directors.
• Working as part of a team to craft and implement an educational strategy that is in alignment with the values and methods of Hashomer Hatzair.
• Fostering and managing key stakeholder relationships.
• Mentor and role model to other staff members
• Liaison with Hashomer Hatzair Board of Directors
• Represent Hashomer Hatzair and Camp Shomria in the community
• Address for community stakeholders to share ideas, concerns, questions, etc.
The Director reports to the Board of Directors of Hashomer Hatzair Canada. Performance reviews will take place on an ongoing basis.
REQUIRED AND DESIRED SKILLS AND CHARACTERISTICS:
• Commitment to the mission of Hashomer Hatzair Canada and the model of youth-leading-youth
• Degree in related field, for example, MBA, nonprofit management, Jewish professional leadership, etc.
• Previous experience working in: non-profit organizations; hiring, training, and managing employees; financial management; strategic planning and organizational development; residential summer camp
• Previous experience working Hashomer Hatzair and/or the Toronto Jewish community is a plus
• Background in experiential education is a plus
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs
• High proficiency in oral and written English (required), Hebrew (asset), Arabic (asset)
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team setting
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Proven ability to effectively manage and lead others
• Attention to detail
• Ability to multitask and manage many ongoing projects at once
• Flexible attitude
• Ability to work flexible hours, sometimes including evenings and weekends
• Occasionally, working on religious or civic holidays may be required
• Must hold a valid Ontario driver’s license and have regular access to a car
• Must be available to participate in training in Toronto and one site visit to Camp between date of hire and start of employment
Level of Language Proficiency
High proficiency in oral and written English (required), Hebrew (asset), Arabic (asset)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send cover letter and CV to email@example.com. References will be required upon request. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.