Details: Volunteer position
Rua Farme de Amoedo 135, Ipanema, Rio de janeiro
Rio de Janeiro - Ipanema
Purpose: Volunteer in Rio de Janeiro to teach underprivileged children from the community of Cantagalo and Pavão-Pavãozinho participating in our program. We teach utilizing the principles of Positive Discipline in a loving and caring way. Our goal is to help these children develop self-control and problem-solving skills as well as their academic capabilities.
- Co-plan all lessons and prepare the classroom
- Manage the classroom
- Teach English, Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math
- Guide physical and creative activities
Reports to: Complementary Education Programme Coordinator.
Length of Appointment: The position of the Complementary Education Educator is assigned for a period of four to six months with 3-4 working days a week. After four months, the Complementary Education Educator may be reappointed for another four to six months at the discretion of the Complementary Education Coordinator.
Time Commitment: 3 to 4 days per week (Monday to Thursday) for six hours (11 a.m. to 5 p.m.), for a minimum of four months.
- Intermediate level of Portuguese
- Preferably experience in teaching/ degree in Education
- Preferably experience in teaching underprivileged children
- Preferably Preferably ESL
- Support: Training for this position will be provided (Positive Discipline). In addition, the Coordinator will be available for questions and assistance.
About Mais Caminhos:
‘Mais Caminhos’ is a social programme created by Caminhos Language Centre, a portuguese school in Rio de Janeiro, that offers educational and cultural activities for underprivileged local Brazilian children and teenagers. Our philosophy is to support motivated underprivileged children and to offer them tools that can help change their lives.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required