460 W 34th St
The Director of Fundraising is responsible for generating revenue, outreach to donors, and
maximizing individual, foundation, and corporate relationships working in partnership with the
President, senior management teams, board of EcoHealth Alliance, science staff, and partners. The
successful candidate will build relationships with existing and new funders including foundations,
corporations, and other avenues for major giving to secure unrestricted and project funding. The
Director of Fundraising will participate in EcoHealth Alliance’s strategic plan by developing
significant and profitable relationships with funders and stakeholders.
- Design development strategy for EcoHealth Alliance. Work with the management,
development, and other teams to identify funding needs including preferred targets and
- Develop and execute EcoHealth Alliance’s annual fundraising plan. Create and execute a
strategy for a large sustained base of annual giving and secure financial support from
individuals, foundations, and corporations.
- Conduct research, prospecting, and applications to multiple donor sources:
- Manage campaigns, engage and oversee campaign firms as necessary
- Oversee ongoing development efforts and budgets
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors
- Work towards engagement plans for board members
- Build a robust donor base. Develop and maintain key long-term relationships with donors
and prospective donors.
- Data management. Manage, update, and streamline the EcoHealth Alliance donor
database and oversee staff responsible for data entry and gift processing.
- Grant writing and proposals. Develop, draft, submit, track, and report-on proposals for
foundation and corporate fundraising.
- Communication and training: Train and mentor development staff and communicate
fundraising goals and progress throughout EcoHealth Alliance and externally.
- Development and Fundraising: at least 5 years of proven success in development and
fundraising with a focus on major donors for a large nonprofit or the equivalent
- Experience running capital campaigns and success fundraising from multiple donor
channels particularly in the 5-to-6 figure range.
- Project Leadership: Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects,
including coordinating with peers to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting
on progress to senior managers and the board of directors
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: Takes initiative and actively seeks to deepen current donor
relationships and to forge new ones
- Communications: Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications
for fundraising. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials. Experience
and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences
- Influencing: Gets others to accept ideas by using convincing arguments; creates positive
situation or spaces; and responds appropriately to key stakeholders
- Collaboration: Effective at working with others to reach common goals and objectives
- Relationship Building: Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers
across different levels of the organization and externally
- Nonprofit and foundation funding experience preferred
- Experience working with a diverse Board of Directors
- Strong eye for detail
- Knowledge of and commitment to conservation and health or related fields
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literate and proficient in standard word processing, spreadsheet, and database
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong management skills
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in spoken and written English
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send an email with a single attachment labeled with your first and last name only (“first last.pdf”) in PDF format containing with (a) a cover letter, (b) CV, and (c) three references to email@example.com with “DIRECTOR OF FUNDRAISING SUMMER 2018” in the subject line. Emails without the subject line or with multiple attachments will not be received. No formal text is required within the body of your email, since emails will not be evaluated. All inquires will receive an automatic response confirming receipt. Applicants will be evaluated and only appropriate candidates will be contacted.