908 Wahler Place, SE
What You Will Do
At Achievement Prep, we believe that without great educators, nothing else matters. The Human Resources Coordinator (HR Coordinator) plays a critical role in supporting the Talent Team and ensuring the provision excellent and timely customer service for the entire employee life cycle (from applicant through former employee). The Coordinator is highly capable, detail-oriented, and personable and performs functions related to human resources processes, procedures, and policies to support the advancement of Achievement Prep’s mission, included but not limited to recruiting, onboarding and off boarding, payroll, benefits, personnel records and other special projects.
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, you will:
Recruitment and Selection
- Facilitate a year-round recruitment campaign:
- Post and monitor all open positions to internal applicant tracking system and all third party job posting sites
- Oversee and coordinate outreach efforts, including social media sites and list servs, to inform prospective candidates about opportunities across our schools
- Attend career fairs targeted at high-profile candidates to build name recognition in the broader education sector (locally and regionally)
- Schedule and conduct informational interviews / phone screens for instructional and non-instructional roles in a friendly, engaging, and customer-oriented manner
- Create a welcoming, comprehensive, and efficient selection experience:
- Ensure that all candidates who engage with Achievement Prep end their process feeling valued and being bigger fans of the organization – regardless of outcome
- Provide school tours to prospective candidates and candidates officially in the selection process
- Collaborate with hiring managers in efficiently moving candidates through the selection process
- Perform reference checks, background checks, and employment verification for new and prospective employees
Human Resources Operations
- Coordinate the onboarding process for all employee groups:
- Assist with preparing documentation for offers to and contracts for new hires and employees
- Coordinate new hire orientation
- Create and maintain employee records including: I9 verification, payroll, benefits, staff certification and qualifications
- Conduct audits of payroll, benefits, HR programs, staff certification and qualifications - ensuring they are up to date and accurate
- Make recommendations for the improvement of HR operations and processes including, but not limited to: recruitment and selection, onboarding, policies and procedures
- Assists with the preparation of the performance review process
- Support the Talent Team’s employee engagement efforts including event coordination
- Coordinate the logistics of off boarding at the end of each school year
- Provide general support on special projects
Core Human Resources Competencies
- Provide a high level of customer support assistance to staff regarding all human resources questions/issues
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality and ethical behavior regarding all human resources discussions, personnel actions, documentation and organizational plans
“Wind In The Sails” Support for Schools
- Be on campus from at least 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM daily
- Support all staff and scholars in establishing a positive, structured, and achievement-oriented school culture
- Participate regularly in projects and initiatives that integrate Network Office staff into schools
- Support “all-hands-on-deck” times of for schools: beginning of school year, standardized testing, all school assemblies, etc.
- Maintain a culture centered on our ethos and core values of Determination, Respect,Enthusiasm, Accountability, and Mastery
- Exhibit an unwavering commitment to high academic achievement and character development in our scholars
- Receive continuous feedback from peers and school leaders on your practice and be expected to give the same
- Manage time, tasks, deadlines and responsibilities in a fast-paced environment and hold others accountable for the same
Be willing to take on additional responsibilities as necessary to fulfill Achievement Prep’s mission for our scholars
You Must Have
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2+ years of general human resources experience
It Would Be Nice for Your to Have
- 1+ years of recruiting/talent sourcing experience (preferably for a school or district)
- Charter school or school district human resources experience
- Working knowledge of District of Columbia regulations
Who We Are
We are a public charter school network committed to historically underserved communities of Southeast Washington, DC. Our elementary school, PreK3 – 3rd grade, includes an early childhood partnership with AppleTree Institute. The middle school is an expanded model that serves 4th – 8th grade. Our mission is to prepare students to excel as high-achieving scholars and leaders in high school, college and beyond.
Who You Are
You know and understand the power of education and have seen, first hand, that power manifested either in your life or in the lives of others. You are committed to serving historically underserved communities knowing that your work is part of a larger ecosystem committed to change. You believe in a quality public education for all and are determined to serve every child that comes your way. You are unapologetically mission driven and will do whatever it takes to advance the work and ensure scholar achievement. You are excited about not just the work, but doing the work at Achievement Prep. You are familiar with our community and are not afraid of or by all the beauty and challenges that come with living in impoverished communities. You value and respect everyone and demonstrate that respect in words and actions.
You are customer service-oriented. You understand that recruiting is not a one-time activity, it is a cultivation endeavor that happens year-round and involves all members of the organization. You take great pleasure in being able to answer people’s questions, meet their varying needs, and appropriately direct them to the next step – all with a genuine smile on your face. You are also an organizing guru. You thrive on ensuring that there are appropriate processes, systems, and routines to most effectively serve any stakeholder who crosses your path. You respect timelines and know that meeting the same are not optional or to be taken for granted. You are open to feedback, eager to grow, and bring your best to everything you do. You know the work isn’t easy and don’t expect for it to be. The grind of our mission ignites you. You are not only capable of performing but thrive in circumstances involving ambiguity and nuance. You look for or create the joy in your day-to-day and want to work with others who do, too.
What We Value
- 100% Scholars: You prioritize what’s best for scholars first.
- Results Without Excuses: You set, track and achieve ambitious goals; and you own the mistakes.
- Sweat the Small Stuff: You pay attention to the smallest details to ensure smooth, predictable, and effective outcomes.
- Community Matters – Mightily: You show care and respect for others – even when the work is taxing.
- Unapologetically Mission-Driven: You have a “whatever it takes” mentality in achieving the mission.
- Many Minds, One Mission: You value and partner with parents and the community for the good of scholars.
What You Get
- Ongoing weekly or bi-weekly coaching and development from direct supervisor
- Opportunities to participate in external professional development that increases effectiveness in the role
- Compensation & Benefits
- Achievement Prep offers highly competitive compensation & benefits
- Medical, vision, dental benefits
- Flexible spending accounts for transit, dependent care, and medical expenses
- 401k with automatic immediate employer matching up to 4%
- It Pays to Stay:
- Upon completion of 2 full school years of service, employees become eligible for annual loyalty incentives
- Gifts and Achievement Prep swag
Minimum Education Required