One State Street
Job Title: ESOL Instructor
Reports to: Director of Education and Operations
Status: Part-time, Maximum 25 hours per week
WORKING AT THE IIIC
Our staff of thirty bring enthusiasm and a commitment to our mission and to the work they do at the Center. We work – and sometimes play – as a team. Our generous benefits package includes our “Staff Day Out”, a day off to enjoy fun activities together, 14 holidays, 20 vacation days and 5 sick days (pro-rated for part-time staff). Health benefits are offered to anyone working 20 hours per week or more.
ABOUT THE IRISH INTERNATIONAL IMMIGRANT CENTER
The Irish International Immigrant Center (IIIC) was founded in 1989 by a group of immigrants committed to helping empower immigrants and refugees from more than 120 countries by providing the legal, educational and wellness support they need to build successful lives.
Building on our Irish roots of welcoming others, social justice and human rights, we help newcomers find community, and we stand up for immigration policies that are humane and just. America is a nation of immigrants, and despite the current political climate, we are proud to continue the tradition of welcoming immigrants to this country and working together to create a better future for all. Our vision is of a shared society where all people are welcomed and valued and enjoy equal opportunities and protections. For more information on the Irish International Immigrant Center please see www.iiicenter.org.
SUMMARY AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Our English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program is thriving and growing with engaged adult immigrant students from all over the world. Our academic year runs in two 18-week sessions, beginning in early September and ending in mid-June. Our summer courses run for 6-weeks, beginning late June and ending early August. ESOL class levels range from low-beginner to intermediate.
The IIIC seeks an instructor beginning September 2018 to teach our morning beginner ESOL classes Monday through Thursday from 9:30am until 12:00pm. This instructor will also dedicate time to our Individual Achievement Program (IAP) by meeting one-on-one with students helping them to reach their professional and educational goals. Maximum weekly hours will be 25, with 15 allocated for teaching and planning and 10 allocated for IAP meetings and preparation.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Teach beginner ESOL classes Monday through Thursday from 9:30am to 12:00pm
· Meet weekly with IAP students to help them achieve their set goals
· Prepare lessons & class materials in accordance with IIIC curriculum guidelines
· Integrate computer technology into lessons
· Responsible for all administrative tasks as requested (i.e. attendance tracking, student outreach, assessing and reporting on student work/progress)
· Administer student assessments
- BA degree in TESOL or Education required; MA or certification in TESOL preferred
- Experience in multi-cultural settings with demonstrated experience in cultural sensitivity
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience teaching ESOL to adults in a community based setting preferred
- Experience as a career coach, or in an employment advising role preferred
- Candidates must be able to employ computer technology within the curriculum
- Commitment to school year required
- BEST testing certification preferred
- Second language skills desirable, but not required
The IIIC is committed to a policy of providing equal employment opportunities for all and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic or national origin, creed or religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, or physical or mental disability. We encourage applications from all those interested and qualified.
For more information on the Irish International Immigrant Center please see www.iiicenter.org.
Our generous benefits package includes 14 holidays, 20 vacation days and 5 sick days (pro-rated for part-time staff). Health benefits are offered to anyone working 20 hours per week or more.
Level of Language Proficiency
Second language skills desirable, but not required
Minimum Education Required