Independent School Aftercare-Teacher (PT)
- Job posted by Science, Language & Arts International School
Part Time Temporary
Details: Hourly compensation commensurate with experience
126 St. Felix Street
ABOUT OUR SCHOOL
Science, Language & Arts International School (SLA) is an independent PK-5th Grade French and Mandarin immersion school located in the heart of the BAM Cultural District in downtown Brooklyn. A progressive, project-based approach supports a curriculum rich in the sciences, math, and the arts. Children are immersed not only in foreign languages but a school culture designed to develop thoughtful, cooperative citizens. Through a generous sliding scale tuition structure, SLA is dedicated to achieving a culturally and socioeconomically diverse balance of families that reflects our local community.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
SLA offers after-school care to students in grades Pre-K – 5. These students attend various extracurricular activities and use the aftercare room as home base. As a part-time Aftercare Teacher you will oversee a classroom of students as they transition between subjects and otherwise play on their own in the classroom. A successful candidate for this position is patient, attentive, and enthusiastic with children in both group and individual settings. This opportunity may be ideal for college/graduate students, parents, or other adults with afternoon/evening availability Monday-Friday from approximately 3-6pm on site in our building. We encourage applicants to also consider applying for our part-time Lunch/Park Duty Attendant post; both roles can potentially be served by one staff member. If applying for multiple positions, only one cover letter is required. The start date for the Aftercare Teacher is immediate and runs through the spring semester.
- Supervise a group of children during the Aftercare program hours
- Ensuring Aftercare and its associated transitions run smoothly
- Help resolve conflicts between students and handle any situations that arise
- Distribute snack
- Ensure a safe and orderly dismissal process
- Available starting immediately from 3-6pm, Monday through Friday, through June 2018 (please submit your availability in your cover letter)
SLA teachers are talented educators who are attracted by the opportunity to have an impact on the growth and development of a flourishing young school. We offer a supportive environment, rich in opportunities for professional development and self-reflection.
- Ability to communicate clearly in English is required; proficiency in French or Mandarin, a plus
- At minimum, a high school diploma or equivalent
- Excellent group management skills
- Documented experience working with children ages 4 to 11 as a teacher, camp counselor, or other appropriate child care capacity
- Highly dynamic personality and hands-on approach
- Ability to be on site Monday – Friday from 3PM to 6PM. Applicants can be available for some or all days. If you have occasional availability, there may be opportunities to serve as a substitute Aftercare Teacher on an as-needed basis.
- Legally eligible to work in the US
- CPR certification, a plus
- Commitment to SLA’s philosophy and values as detailed in the “About Our School” section and on our website: www.slaschool.org
Level of Language Proficiency
- English required
- French or Mandarin a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Please submit a resume and a cover letter as your application. The cover letter should indicate which position(s) you are applying for, address how you would perform well in this role, identify key relevant experiences, and include your availability. Later in the application process, please be prepared to provide personal and professional references as requested.
- Resume and Cover Letter submissions should be sent to email@example.com. You may address your cover letter to the hiring manager.
- Only applicants deemed a good fit for this position will be contacted to schedule an interview.