28813 West Virginia 55
Engaging work environment with plenty of perks.
Come work with our growing team as we prepare for organic certification, grow our CSA and expand our market. Play a major role in developing training modules and educating our many youth employees.
The Wardensville Garden Market + Bakery is a nonprofit farm that employs local youth, encouraging their entrepreneurial spirit through small-scale sustainable farming in an education-rich environment. Our goal is to enhance the knowledge of local youth by teaching them how to run and sustain a successful small business, and by offering opportunities to pursue new career paths, through classes and scholarships. We reinvest 100% of every purchase made at the market and bakery back into the program to hire and inspire even more young people.
The farm is transitioning to a four-season farm, producing over 40 types of crops for sale at an on-site market and to CSA members. We currently have about 3 acres in production along with a greenhouse and 3 high tunnels. Every week we train and work alongside up to 10 local youth employees.
We are looking for a full-time farm-based educator who loves teaching young people and performing farm work. Ideally this person also bring 2-5 years of experience in Organic or Certified Naturally Grown production and a demonstrable understanding of farm documentation systems.
- Train and manage teams of 5-10 local youth 2-3 days per week to help us achieve our farm goals.
- In partnership with the Education Director, develop farm-specific education modules.
- Help develop, implement and manage real-time electronic documentation system to track planting, field work, harvests, etc.
- Manage the growing CSA program; continually assess and strive to improve our model.
- Lead the certification process - we’re working towards USDA Organic Certification in 2019. We’re also pursuing various conservation-oriented and animal welfare certifications.
Hourly pay commensurate with experience + Benefits.
- Passion for creating opportunities for youth, including developing their skills and knowledge
- Love the soil & being outdoors, even in rough weather
- Deep familiarity with electronic documentation systems
- 2-5 years year-round farming experience preferred
- CSA experience preferred
Enjoy the stunning natural beauty of West Virginia and the quiet pace of a small town, all while working for a progressive, forward-thinking nonprofit focused on youth and the environment.
Why You Should Apply:
● Dynamic, passionate team devoted to results
● Mission-driven organization focused on positive community change and healthy living
● Good Benefits Package (insurance stipend, paid vacation, paid sick days)
● Numerous educational and professional development opportunities
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply:
Position remains open until filled. Mail or email your cover letter and resume by to:
Wardensville Garden Market
28813 SR 55
Wardensville, WV 26851