WHO WE ARE
Explore Schools is a network of public charter schools providing 2,000 students in Brooklyn with the outstanding education they deserve. We strive to provide students with the academic skills and critical-thinking abilities they need to succeed in a college-preparatory high school.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We believe that all children can learn when immersed in a rich environment full of high expectations, rigorous academics, and caring, committed adults. We believe equity and excellence are not mutually exclusive—we can meet the needs of all students in our schools, while actively engaging parents and driving toward excellent academic results. We envision a pathway to equity that features outstanding curriculum and instruction as well as ample opportunities for students to achieve success in and out of the classroom. We believe it is both our privilege and responsibility to help close the opportunity gap in the Brooklyn community.
WHO YOU ARE
You are someone who believes deeply in our student-centered mission by constantly holding students to high expectations, working tirelessly towards results, and possessing a “whatever it takes” attitude. Your qualifications include:
- Dedication to our mission. A steadfast commitment to ensuring our students have the tools they need to attend a college-preparatory high school and beyond
- Determination. A willingness to make things happen and a sense of urgency around closing the achievement gap
- Strong communication. The ability to communicate directly and sensitively with students, parents, and colleagues
- Team player. A desire to work in a team-oriented environment and collaborate with colleagues
- Growth mindset. An ability to receive frequent feedback with humility and a strong desire to grow and develop as an educator
- Reflective attitude. An ability to constantly reflect on student data as well as personal areas of strength and growth
- Flexibility. Willingness to work in an ever-changing field and face challenges with a positive attitude
- Professional integrity. A personal alignment with the values and ethical standards of Explore Schools
- Bachelor’s degree, required
- 2+ years of experience working within a school or with middle-school aged students, required
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The High School Placement Coordinator works closely with students, staff and families to build a culture and understanding around the high school placement process and ensure that all 8th grade graduates enroll in a college-preparatory high school that will keep them on track for success in college and beyond. In addition, this position will partner with the Explore Schools’ network team on alumni and high school placement initiatives. Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Implement and drive a culture of high school rigor and success among 6-8th graders through workshops, lessons and activities throughout the school year
- Create resources and facilitate workshops for families and students regarding high school choices and process
- Build relationships with individual students and families to identify their best-fit high school choices among public, private and/or parochial options
- Provide intensive 1:1 support for each student’s application process, including assistance with application essays and writing student recommendations
- Work closely with 7-8th grade faculty to identify students’ strengths and weaknesses, and address students’ needs in relation to the high school application process
- Research high schools and refine approach with Explore Schools’ network high school placement and alumni team
- Implement new culture-building strategies, workshops and resources based on each class’s needs
- Identify, build, and maintain relationships with high schools and college-access programs (such as Breakthrough, Prep for Prep, etc.)
- Conduct high school visits and attend open houses
- Oversee logistical details of the high school application process, including faxing student transcripts and managing a calendar of open houses and application deadlines
- Responsibilities may include:
- Support in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of family-centered activities such as Family Conferences, Back To School Nights, and more
- Support implementation, coordination, and communication of the school’s PTA through scheduling PTA meetings and liaising with members; provides logistical oversight to PTA’s activities and initiatives.
- Manage the monthly family calendar, and supports the planning and execution of the Exceed Community Team’s activities.
- Coordinate and oversee all required family communication and create best practices around family engagement in high school placement
BENEFITS AND PERKS
Explore staff enjoy a competitive salary and benefits, generous vacation-including network shutdown days, considerable matching of retirement contribution, and more.
Additionally, you can expect:
- Professional development: participation in weekly PD, year-round retreats and trainings, and on-going coaching by professionals
- Continued education support: staff are eligible for scholarship opportunities towards qualifying certification costs or higher education tuition
- Flexible and reflective leadership: dedicated to staff development, and committed to direct and sensitive communication
- Driven and passionate colleagues who contribute to a professional and collaborative work environment
Explore is a network of 8 charter schools located in the Canarsie, Crown Heights, and Flatbush communities of Brooklyn, NY. Our network office is located in DUMBO, Brooklyn.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Explore Schools is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran or military status.