Details: Salary range available upon request.
436 14th Street
The Breakthrough Institute is an energy and environmental research center based in Oakland, California. Our research focuses on identifying and promoting technological solutions to environmental and human development challenges in three areas: energy, conservation, and food and farming.
We are currently hiring a Multimedia Producer. This role is full time and based in our office in downtown Oakland.
Why join the Breakthrough team?
- Work with a team to communicate and visualize cutting-edge research and ideas, and help craft a compelling, optimistic environmentalism for the 21st century.
- Learn from the best in the business. We convene a powerful network of social scientists, journalists, scholars, academics, innovators, and entrepreneurs. As a part of the team you will get to learn from the thought leaders and influencers in energy and the environment.
- Brilliant coworkers who love what they do. We are in this for the same reason – to make a positive impact on the world around us – so we build each other up, support each other, and put our mission above our egos. We’re a friendly and collaborative group. That means you will be able to learn and work with a wide variety of people.
At Breakthrough we want to create impact in the world, and we’re looking for someone to help manage, measure, and magnify that impact.
Breakthrough is looking to hire a full-time multimedia producer to create and manage high-quality content for our website and social media pages and advise the communication director on design, products, and brand. Regular work will include producing explainer videos and videos from our regular public events, editing and producing podcast episodes, and creating/overseeing production of research reports, infographics, data visualization, and design for various events and other work products. This is a great position for a creative designer looking for an impactful job and a collaborative work environment.
The multimedia producer will gain an inside view into how a small think tank can have an outsize impact on national and international debates. This position will also have the opportunity to expand that impact, as a member of Breakthrough’s communications team and a contributor to a number of different areas related to the operation of the organization. Ideally, the candidate would be available to start as soon as possible.
This position reports to the Communications Director for daily tasks and long-term projects.
Role and Responsibilities
GRAPHIC DESIGN / MEDIA
- Direct, film, and create videos
- Record and edit all podcasts
- Oversee design, images, and graphics for website and newsletter
- When necessary, work with freelance designers for Breakthrough’s design needs
- Manage and implement Breakthrough’s brand in all our visual work
- Preferred: Design layouts for Breakthrough’s publications
- Preferred: Data visualization and infographic production
- Assist with regular publications and production meetings with research, events, and editorial staff
- Design reports and content in consultation with graphic designers, and release on the website and social media strategy
- Assist communications staff on release and communications strategy for research publications.
Qualities you should possess:
- Openness to implementing unconventional and innovative ideas.
- Be self-starting, resourceful, and organized.
- Have the ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Be a proactive problem solver.
- Have strong attention to detail.
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A willingness to learn.
- Bachelor's degree with 1-2 years of relevant experience
- Proficient in video editing using Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, or any similar program
- Proficient in creating and editing podcasts using Final Cut Pro, GarageBand, or any similar program
- Familiar with production technology required, including professional-grade cameras
- Familiar with Adobe Acrobat Reader, Adobe Lightroom, Keynote, Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, Excel)
- Preferred: Proficient in creating and editing infographics using Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, or Adobe Illustrator
- Preferred: Proficient in Mailchimp, Wix, SquareSpace, Craft CMS, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Preferred: Familiar with Zencastr or similar software
Benefits include excellent health insurance, paid leave, cell phone reimbursement, and commuter benefits. We are located in downtown Oakland, right above the 12th Street Oakland BART station.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, three references, and a web-based portfolio of multimedia work to jobs [at] thebreakthrough [dot] org. We encourage you to submit materials as soon as possible, as we will interview and hire on a rolling basis.