Reporting to the Learning & Development Director, the Senior Manager of Learning & Development is a learning & development (L&D) design consultant who will support the service delivery, corps experience and content management for business owners across the entire Impact department. The Senior Manager of Learning & Development will assist the L&D Director in ensuring high quality execution of training and professional development for AmeriCorps members, optimization of L&D content, scope and sequence, and maintenance of content in a coherent system.
- Guide business owners throughout City Year Chicago (CYC) in the development, refinement and delivery of effective L&D modules and initiatives.
- Serve as model trainer for the organization, conducting train-the-trainer activities to ensure that other designated CYC facilitators are prepared to execute high-quality L&D programming.
- Assist the L&D Director with planning and execution of Basic Training Academy (BTA), mid-year summit, and L&D Days for Americorps Members (ACMs).
- In collaboration with the Analytics department, create and utilize various evaluation systems to monitor the effectiveness of trainings and their environments and surface potential improvements to the department based on ACM feedback.
- Manage the implementation of site coordinator roles and collaborate with the Impact Managers and Instructional Coaches around monthly service priorities.
- Stay abreast of new training techniques and adult learning best practices shared by City Year HQ.
- Ensure continuity in L&D calendar by confirming that all scheduled events and L&D initiatives have clearly identified Business Owners, and that Business Owners understand their roles and accountabilities for any given event.
- Serve as the site L&D coordinator for the design and execution of ACM career development (LACY) activities. Coordinate across departments to source and share LACY opportunities with AmeriCorps members.
- In collaboration with the ACM Experience Manager, oversee site CYLead initiatives. Support owners with scheduling, content, and implementation.
- Along with L&D Director and other CYC Business Owners, identify gaps and improvement opportunities in ACM L&D programming.
- Manage communications with ACMs related to Learning & Development – LDD newsletters, L&D todays, LACY emails, etc.
- Develop and implement a monthly training program for the Senior Corps (Team Leaders & CE team)
- Review existing and proposed training materials for appropriateness and relevance, and make recommendations to business owners for improvements on the following dimensions:
- Clarity and relevancy of objectives
- Scope and sequence
- Channel (e.g., live director-led; live virtual; self-guided)
- Evaluation against objectives
- Incorporation of best practices for adult learners
- Review and update site asynchronous service materials as needed to ensure CYCHI has enough ACM remote options
- Manage L&D resource library, ensuring that all materials are indexed, accessible and/or archived
Organizational Initiatives & Site Support
- Work closely with Impact Team members to understand priorities and goals and develop strategies to meet the organization’s needs.
- Engage in structured discussions and trainings on diversity, inclusion, equity and belonging aimed at developing stronger cultural competency, both individually and collectively as a site.
- Partner with CYC departments and staff to ensure that site-wide goals are met, including, but not limited to, the AmeriCorps member applicant interview process, event and service day participation, and cross-departmental committees.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 5-7 years of professional experience in project management or adult learning
- Demonstrated expertise in facilitation and content development for adult learners, inclusive of virtual training in both instructor-led and self-guided formats
- Strong relationship building and listening skills
- Ability to work in fast paced environment and ability to be flexible
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong attention to detail, problem solving, time and project management skills; ability to prioritize projects and tasks, assess and deploy resources
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse team of young adults which includes experience coaching young people and working with diverse populations
- Must be proficient in MS Excel, Word, PPT, and Teams
- Deep understanding of and commitment to City Year’s values, for more information visit: https://www.cityyear.org/about-us/culture-values
Our number one priority is the health and safety of our employees and AmeriCorps members and their families; our students and school partners; and the community at large from COVID-19. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment and service – all staff members, including remote staff, and AmeriCorps members are required to be fully vaccinated* no later than their start date. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons or sincerely-held religious beliefs, we will consider requests for reasonable accommodation consistent with our policy, and where we are able to provide such accommodations without undue hardship to the organization pursuant to applicable law. Notwithstanding any language herein, City Year will comply with any state, local, or federal orders, statutes, or regulations that may conflict with the COVID-19 vaccination policy.
*Individuals are considered fully vaccinated 14 days after receiving the second dose of a two-dose vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) or one dose of a single-dose vaccination (Johnson & Johnson).