Marketing and Communications Assistant
- Job posted by The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History
49 West 45th Street
Founded in 1994 by visionaries and lifelong proponents of American history education Richard Gilder and Lewis E. Lehrman, the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History is the leading American history nonprofit organization dedicated to K–12 education while also serving the general public. At the Institute’s core is the Gilder Lehrman Collection, one of the great archives in American history. Drawing on the 70,000 documents in the Gilder Lehrman Collection and an extensive network of eminent historians, the Institute provides teachers, students, and the general public with direct access to unique primary source materials.
For more information about the Institute, please visit gilderlehrman.org
Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History seeks a Sales and Marketing Assistant to support the Institute’s publicity and marketing efforts.
Roles and Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
Publicity and Social Media
● Work with the Development, Education and Digital departments to ensure that upcoming events, programs, website additions and other new features are properly publicized via press, social media, and the Gilder Lehrman blog.
● Write press releases announcing Gilder Lehrman news, such as events, Collection highlights, new online courses, and teacher seminars.
● Research relevant new press contacts in service of continuing to extend Gilder Lehrman’s reach.
● Maintain an engaging social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest and write (or assign) twice-weekly posts for the Gilder Lehrman blog.
● Expand the Institute's audience through the use of new online and print marketing initiatives, and assist in the development of online advertising copy, including email campaigns, Google Adwords, and Facebook Ads.
● Fulfill orders of posters, books, and electronic media made through Gilder Lehrman’s online History Shop.
● Coordinate logistics and materials for conferences that Gilder Lehrman attends. This may include some travel to attend relevant conferences.
Event and Program Promotion
● Attend Institute events and programs to write press releases, take photos, publicize through social media and sharing photos or liveblogging on social media.
● Communicate with Development, Digital, Education departments and Collection to stay up-to-date on marketing needs of programs, courses, digital offerings, and events.
Required Skills Include:
● Strong familiarity with and interest in social media required
● Highly organized and proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite a plus
● Strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to be a go-to voice in promoting and working across departments to further Institute marketing initiatives is essential
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● Quick thinker with demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Adept at learning new technologies
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include “Marketing & Communications” in the subject line of your email. Only candidates under consideration will be contacted - thank you!
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Hours: Full-time, Mon. - Fri., 9am - 5pm
Gilder Lehrman Institute is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.